These easy baked ham and egg cups are a nutritious low carb & gluten-free breakfast done in 20 minutes! Eggs are cradled in a crispy ham basket then sprinkled with cheese and baked in a muffin pan. Perfect for busy weekday mornings or weekly meal prep.
I love breakfast in the morning but I don't always have time to prepare it. So anything quick and easy is right up my alley. I usually opt for my Breakfast Street Tacos, an Orange Creamsicle Smoothie, or this, almost dessert for breakfast, Tiramisu Oatmeal Bake. However, today I was in the mood for these quick and easy ham, cheese, and egg cups.
The prep couldn't be simpler and they are so adaptable that each person can make them to their preferred taste. Over easy eggs, hard-boiled eggs, simply ham, egg and cheese, or add in tomatoes, onions, peppers, you got this! Plus they're loaded with protein and clean-up is a breeze.
Table of contents
Love doing weekly meal prep? Make these ham and egg cups on a Saturday or Sunday, let them cool, wrap individually, then refrigerate or freeze. Take them out as needed during the week and reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute for refrigerated and about 2-3 minutes from frozen or until heated through and enjoy.
Ingredients & Variations
There are only 3 simple ingredients to this breakfast, ham, eggs, and cheese. Then it's up to you, add in your favorite vegetables or leave them as is.
- Ham - When choosing the ham, make sure that it is sliced thin, but not too thin, as you want it to be thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to crisp up. I like to use black forest ham but honey baked ham or maple ham is also delish.
- Cheese - use any fresh cheese, such as cheddar, gruyere or pepper jack, and shred it yourself. Package shredded cheese has cellulose added to the mix to keep the cheese separated and will not melt as well as fresh.
- Eggs - Large eggs are a good choice for these baked ham and egg cups. They will fill the ham cup and you will be able to bake it to your desired doneness more easily. 12 minutes will give you an over easy-type egg while 15 minutes results in more of a hard boiled yolk.
- Other add-ins - chopped peppers, tomatoes, onion, spinach, minced jalapenos, parmesan cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends on how you like your eggs. For a softer yolk, more like an over-easy egg, bake for 12 minutes. For a harder yolk, bake about 15 minutes.
They will keep 4-5 days in the refrigerator or 3-4 months in the freezer.
These are a low-calorie, low-carb breakfast that contains 15g of protein with only 188 calories for each egg cup.
How to Make Baked Ham and Egg Cups
Gather the ingredients and any add-ins you would like to use. For easy removal after baking, use a nonstick muffin pan and spray with your favorite nonstick spray. I like to use avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter.
- Press a slice of ham into each of the cavities. You can make any number of ham and egg cups that fit your family needs.
- Sprinkle in any add-ins, mixing it up to create different varieties or make them all the same. Of course, you can leave the extras out altogether too.
- Carefully drop an egg on top of the ham or add-ins, if using.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake.
Quick and easy breakfasts are hard to come by but these ham and egg cups are as easy as 1-2-3-4! Just bake them up and let everyone serve themselves. It's one low-carb, gluten-free breakfast that makes mornings a breeze. Serve them with coffee and orange juice and you're out the door! The kids, whether big and little, will love them! Enjoy!
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
Baked Banana Donuts are soft moist baked donuts that are finished with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
Easy Loaded Breakfast Skillet is a mix and bake breakfast with only 6 ingredients and made in one pan. Easy to make and easy to clean up.
Overnight Blueberry French Toast is made with a layer of buttery croissants, topped with blueberries and a maple-flavored egg mixture then chilled overnight. Wake up, bake and eat!
Easy Breakfast Quesadillas from Everyday Delicious are filled with eggs, cheese, and tomatoes for a deliciously easy breakfast.
Find more easy breakfast recipes on 2CM!
Ham and Egg Cups
- 8 Eggs
- 8 slices Deli ham
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Green onion or scallions, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a small non-stick muffin pan with Pam or other non-stick spray.
- Push one slice of ham into each muffin cup making a nice basket for the egg.
- At this point you can add any optional add-ins you like such as tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, or spinach.
- Crack one egg into each ham bowl.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper then add shredded cheese.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes depending on how done you like your yolks.
- Lift out carefully by grabbing edges of ham and place on plate.
- Sprinkle with green onions or scallions and serve.
This post has been updated with more information and better step-by-step instructions. It was first posted on November 26, 2014.