Warm up this winter with a decadent Buckeye Latte cocktail. Rich flavors of peanut butter and chocolate combine with coffee, milk and a touch of white chocolate liqueur to warm you from the inside out.
I love curling up on a cold day with my hands wrapped around a warm cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Of course, if there is a fireplace in the picture I'd be sitting in front of that too! (not too much of that in Florida!)
Warm drinks, like Mexican Hot Chocolate or S'mores Coffee, are just so comforting and warm drinks with a little extra kick of liqueur are even better. Are ya with me?!
I was in the middle of baking my Christmas buckeyes, a standard at my house at Christmas time, and I thought, Wow, I bet the combination of chocolate and peanut butter flavors would taste great in a cup of coffee. Yep really, I went there! So how to get them into a hot drink without the peanut butter separating? Light bulb goes off - I'll use my PB2! Ever try that stuff? It really is great in smoothies and has like 85% less fat than peanut butter but with all the flavor. Can't beat that! Plus it doesn't separate when added to liquids. And they have a chocolate version! All my peanut butter and chocolate flavors rolled into one.
But I didn't stop there. Nope, I had to add a bit more chocolate flavor to the coffee and give it a little kick with the addition of Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur (which makes great white chocolate martinis too). Kicked it up another notch by adding some sweetened foamy milk, on the order of a latte, and then topped it with some whipped cream, totally optional but, why not, calories don't count on the holidays, right?, some shaved chocolate and, of course, a buckeye. Hence the name - Buckeye Latte.
OMG! I'm going to have a hard time not drinking one of these coffee cocktails every night! It's amazing how the chocolate and peanut butter go so well with the coffee. I bet it would taste just as delicious in hot chocolate too, just in case you're not a coffee drinker. And I even tested it with Kahlua and Patron Cafe tequila instead of the Godiva liqueur (well, someone had to do it - lol) and it was just as awesome! So whatever way you roll - here's to the holidays - Merry Christmas!
- 1 cup strong hot coffee
- ¾ cup milk divided
- 4 Tablespoons PB2 with chocolate
- 2 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur
- ¼ cup Kahlua or Patron Café
- Garnish: chocolate shavings, whipped cream, buckeyes
- Divide coffee between 2 mugs.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine ¼ cup warm milk with PB2 and confectioner’s sugar. Secure lid and shake well. Divide between mugs.
- Measure 2 tablespoons each of Godiva liqueur and Kahlua and add to each mug.
- Rinse jar and add remaining ½ cup milk to it. Secure lid and shake for 30-60 seconds until you have some foam. Place jar, minus lid, in microwave for 30-45 seconds to stabilize foam. Use a spoon to hold foam in jar and pour hot milk evenly into mugs.
- Spoon foam onto top of coffee.
- Top with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and, if you have one, a buckeye.
I want to take this moment to thank all of you who have followed me throughout the year. I so appreciate your time and hope you enjoy the recipes I bring to the table. I wish you the merriest Christmas and hope your holidays are filled with family, friends, delicious food and good cheer.
Leave a Reply