Our Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate is the perfect drink for a cold night to wrap your hands around. Rich hot chocolate is flavored with cinnamon, sweetened with marshmallows then kicked up a notch with coffee tequila.
There is nothing better or more comforting on a cold winter’s night than a mug of hot chocolate that you can wrap your hands around. And one that has a little something extra in it just makes it even better.
I grew up loving the hot chocolate my mom made. She always had a cup waiting for my friends and I when we came back home from ice skating or sledding. My favorite part was the little marshmallows she put on top that would slowly melt and sweeten the chocolate a little. Now, living in Florida, I don’t have that same need for something warm but I still like to curl up on the sofa with a hot chocolate in my hands just to relax and enjoy the flavors.
Since first tasting a Mexican hot chocolate, where they add cinnamon to the mix, I fell in love with the touch of spice that complimented the chocolate flavor so well. So I used mom’s recipe, yep, I did keep the marshmallows, but added cinnamon and a touch of vanilla to the mix. And being the coffee lover that I am, yes I’m one of those people that just has to have her cup of coffee first thing, I thought something with a splash of flavored coffee liquor might be just the thing to put this drink over the top. Wow, was I ever right!
I thought of using my favorite coffee liqueur, Kahlua, but just a few months ago I wrote a post for a Mocha Latte Cocktail, similar to this cocktail but with a bit more coffee, that used Patron’s XO Cafe tequila and I really liked it. It’s delicious, very smooth and has just a hint of coffee. If you are more of a coffee lover, this cocktail is just as delicious using Kahlua and adds a more prominent coffee taste to the drink.
I included a recipe for a very decadent hot chocolate from scratch but a nice packaged hot chocolate mix can also be used. You can opt to leave out the liquor too and it’s deliciously perfect for the whole family. But I say go ahead and indulge yourself or make a batch for your next winter party, you & everyone else will love it. Cheers!
SPIKED MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 3/8 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half n half (I like to use fat-free half n half)
- 3- oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 cup Patron XO Cafe Coffee Tequila
- In a small saucepan, whisk together cocoa and water and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in milk and half n half while continuing to whisk and bring back to a simmer.
- Add chocolate chips and marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add extract, cinnamon and Patron.
- Divide between 2 mugs. Top with whipped cream, a cinnamon stick and shaved chocolate.
- To put it over the top, drizzle with chocolate syrup, but that is completely optional.