Our Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate is the perfect drink for a cold night to wrap your hands around. Rich hot chocolate is flavored with cinnamon, sweetened with marshmallows then kicked up a notch with coffee tequila.
There is nothing better or more comforting on a cold winter’s night than a mug of hot chocolate that you can wrap your hands around. And one that has a little something extra in it just makes it even better.
I grew up loving the hot chocolate my mom made. She always had a cup waiting for my friends and me when we came back home from ice skating or sledding. My favorite part was the little marshmallows she put on top that would slowly melt and sweeten the chocolate a little.
Now, living in Florida, I don’t have that same need for something warm but I still like to curl up on the sofa with a hot chocolate in my hands just to relax and enjoy the flavors.
Since first tasting Mexican hot chocolate, where they add cinnamon to the mix, I fell in love with the touch of spice that complemented the chocolate flavor so well. So I used mom’s recipe, yep, I did keep the marshmallows but added cinnamon and a touch of vanilla to the mix.
And being the coffee lover that I am, yes I’m one of those people that just has to have her cup of coffee first thing, I thought something with a splash of flavored coffee liquor might be just the thing to put this drink over the top. Wow, was I ever right!
I thought of using my favorite coffee liqueur, Kahlua, but just a few months ago I wrote a post for a Latte Cocktail, similar to this cocktail but with a bit more coffee, that used Patron’s XO Cafe tequila, and I really liked it. It’s delicious, very smooth, and has just a hint of coffee.
If you are more of a coffee lover, this cocktail is just as delicious using Kahlua and adds a more prominent coffee taste to the drink.
I included a recipe for a very decadent hot chocolate from scratch but a nice packaged hot chocolate mix can also be used. You can opt to leave out the liquor too and it’s deliciously perfect for the whole family.
Go ahead and indulge yourself or make a batch for your next winter party, you & everyone else will love it. Cheers!
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate made with melted ice cream.
Kahlua Hot Chocolate topped with marshmallows, chocolate, and caramel.
Find lots more winter cocktails here on 2CM!
SPIKED MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 3/8 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half n half (I like to use fat-free half n half)
- 3- oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4 cup Patron XO Cafe Coffee Tequila
- In a small saucepan, whisk together cocoa and water and bring to a simmer.
- Pour in milk and half n half while continuing to whisk and bring back to a simmer.
- Add chocolate chips and marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add extract, cinnamon and Patron.
- Divide between 2 mugs. Top with whipped cream, a cinnamon stick and shaved chocolate.
- To put it over the top, drizzle with chocolate syrup, but that is completely optional.
This post has been updated and was first published on January 8, 2017.