Homemade pizza is sooo easy & you can make it just the way you like it. Our BBQ Chicken Pizza is chock full of chicken, onions, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese & your favorite BBQ sauce.
It’s almost time for the big game – you know the Super Bowl! And no matter which team anyone is rooting for they’ll love this easy and tasty BBQ Chicken Pizza. Not only does it make a great meal but a fantastic appetizer for game day parties.
Ever since I got my pizza stone, which I don’t know what I would do without now, I love making pizzas. Any pizza recipe that I come across on the web is probably going to roll out of my oven on my pizza stone within a week of seeing it. I’ve made a 3-pepper pizza for meatless Mondays, a pepperoni pizza, which is always a favorite, a Double Cheeseburger for the meat lover in all of us and a Pulled Pork version. Now I can honestly say that not all my pizzas come out looking like they just came from your favorite pizza joint but they are almost round and very unique! I know I’ll get better as I go (and I don’t think I’ll get many complaints when I make them more often).
You can always adapt the pizza to suite your family’s tastes but this one is sensational just as it is! Make pizza night a fun family night by letting everyone make their own using their favorite toppings and sauces. I bet you’ll be amazed at the combinations that they come up with.
- 1 Pizza dough from your local grocery store
- Corn meal
- 3/4 cup your favorite pasta sauce
- 3 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken chopped
- 1/2 red onion cut in thin rings
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3/4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese grated
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees. Leave stone in oven for 30 minutes.
- Just prior to removing stone from oven, roll out pizza dough into a circle that will fit your stone. Remove stone from oven, be very careful as stone will be extremely hot, and place on top of stove or other heat resistant surface. Sprinkle with corn meal. Place circle of dough very carefully on stone.
Mix pasta sauce and barbecue sauce together and spread over crust, keeping it at least 1/2" away from edge.
Top with chicken (as much or little as you want), onion rings, tomatoes and peppers.
Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place back in oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
No pizza stone? No problem! Use a cookie sheet with sides. Do not preheat in oven just spread with corn meal and place your crust on the sheet. Continue with directions as stated above.
Wine Pairing: This dish is high in acidity (tomatoes) and fat (cheese) so look for a fruit-forward wine that has a matching acidity but relatively low in tannins. Lean towards a Chianti, not the Classico as the tannins are too high, unoaked Barbera wines, Shiraz or a low cost, lightly oaked, medium-bodied Zinfandel. And of course, beer goes great with pizza too!
Stay tuned for Wednesdays Super Bowl Appetizer Roundup. Delicious recipes from all around the web!