These Chocolate Candy Bar Cookies are soft, chewy chocolaty cookies filled with peanuts, caramel and chocolate chips reminiscent of a Baby Ruth candy bar. They are so rich and delicious you won’t be able to eat just one!
Tomorrow is National Milky Way Day so that got me thinking about making something with candy bars. And then I thought, why not just bake a cookie that has candy bar ingredients in it. And what are some of the best ingredients in candy bars? Chocolate, definitely, caramel, you bet, and peanuts, why not! And what do all these have in common – a Baby Ruth candy bar! And, boy oh boy, you’re not going to believe how delicious these cookies turned out!
If you’ve never had one, the Baby Ruth candy bar is made of peanuts and caramel, a chocolate nougat center, then the whole thing is drenched in chocolate. I replaced the nougat in the cookies, which is soft and chewy, with a soft and chewy cookie dough. I then added peanuts and caramel chips to the cookie dough, to which I had added plenty of cocoa to take the place of the chocolate coating.
The hardest part was experimenting and finding the perfect combination of ingredients that would allow the cookies to be soft, chewy and thick as opposed to a flat and crispy. I think I did so well on this (taking a moment to pat myself on the back) that I am going to change up my “Oreo Cookies and Cream Cookies” recipe to this as the base.
These cookies are super easy to make but do need a little time to chill in order to make them easier to roll into balls. Once chilled, scoop into balls then press down just slightly on the top and bake.
They come out beautifully dark, moist and the aroma is enough to make you want to grab one off the hot cookie tray and stuff in your mouth. Not sayin’ anyone I know would do this. lol
Once cool, you had better hide them because they disappear in record time. Even people that don’t like cookies were snitching them. And if you’re a chocolate lover you are definitely not going to want to pass these up. So what are you waiting for? Grab a glass of milk and a plate full of cookies and dig in!
Find more easy cookie recipes here on 2CM!
CHOCOLATE CANDY BAR COOKIES
- 1 cup + 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granualted sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cup caramel bits or caramel chips
- Garnish: Sea salt (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Add whole egg and egg yolk and mix well.
- With mixer at low speed, beat in dry ingredients until mixture comes together into a dough ball.
- Stir in chocolate chips, peanuts and caramel bits.
- Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This will make it easier to work with.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a small cookie scoop, make round balls of dough and place on prepared cookies sheets. Press down on the cookie ball to make a slightly flattened top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Bake 11-12 minutes for softer chewier cookies or 12-13 minutes for a crisper cookie.
- Cool completely on cookie sheets placed on wire racks.
- When cool, store in airtight container.
This post has been updated and was first published on March 11, 2018.