This delicious Hearty Crockpot Chili has everything you could want in your chili. A rich tomato broth seasoned with homemade chili seasoning, tender beef, two kinds of beans, corn, and plenty of garlic. It's the perfect comfort food for cold fall and winter days.
It's been cooler than usual here in South Florida this week and we needed some good ole comfort food to warm us up inside. Soups and stews like my Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup and Instant Pot Greek Beef Stew are always soul-warming but I felt more like this slow cooker beef chili that adds a little heat to the mix. It was a perfect choice!
I wanted to make it as easy as possible to make since I had so much to do over the weekend so I opted for my crockpot. I love this appliance when it comes to soups and chilis, it always makes the meat tender and the broth so full of flavor. I served the chili topped off with cheese and onions alongside some fresh french bread. It was perfect!
Make your own chili seasoning
If you want to make your own chili seasoning, which is great for controlling salt and knowing exactly what went into the mixture, I have included a recipe below. You can make up a large batch as it keeps for quite a while. And even better is the money it saves you over those small packets of chili seasoning you can purchase at the grocery store.
This crockpot chili, with its rich hearty taste, goes best with a beer but wine drinkers can also enjoy their favorite beverage. Red wine lovers should look for a Malbec, Shiraz, or Tempranillo which strikes a nice balance between the wine’s acidity and the meals heartier meat, tomatoes, and spice. If you are a white wine drinker, I would stay with a semi-dry Riesling or a dry Rose.
More chili recipes
Slow Cooker Mexican Chili
Crockpot White Chicken Chili
Southwest Chipotle Beef Chili
Find more slow cooker recipes on 2CM!
Hearty Crockpot Chili
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced or 2-½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cans diced tomatoes (14-½ oz each) undrained
- 1 pkg frozen corn kernels (10 oz) optional
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Mr & Mrs T’s Bloody Mary Mix
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- ⅓ cup chili seasoning to make your own, see recipe in note section
- 15 oz can kidney beans or black beans drained
- 2 cans ranch-style beans (15 oz each)
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Chopped jalapenos or red chili peppers to taste (optional)
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese chopped raw onions, sour cream, chopped tomato, crushed tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is cooked through.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to crockpot and add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Place chili in single-serving bowls and top with your preferred garnishes. Garnishes can also be served on the side so everyone can fix it just the way they like it.
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon instant minced garlic
This post has been updated and was first published on February 1, 2015.