Nothing beats a creamy, cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole! Just toss leftover or rotisserie chicken, broccoli, pasta, soup, yogurt and cheese in a casserole, top with Cheez-Its and bake. Easy to make, easy to cleanup and you get a deliciously nutritious dinner on the table for those busy weeknights when you just don’t have the time to cook.
Cheesy Chicken Pasta Bake
Today has been a whirlwind in my kitchen. I’ve been cooking all day to make sure I had plenty of easy to grab breakfasts for the busy month ahead (you know, since we’re moving) and, at the end of the day, all I wanted to do was get out of the kitchen for a break. But someone had to get dinner on the table (that’s me) and I knew it was going to have to be something simple and quick.
Since I hadn’t planned anything, I had to see what I had on hand. Looking through my refrigerator I found chicken breasts and broccoli, which compliment each other so well, along with cheddar cheese and a can of cream of chicken soup from the pantry. And since I love making baked chicken with yogurt, like my easy Cheesy Chicken Rollups, I added that to the mix as well as some pasta to make it a little more filling. (Of course, who doesn’t love creamy cheesy pasta when you need a little comfort) Now all I have to do is whip it all together and pour it into a casserole dish.
But wait! You’ve got to top it with some crumbled Cheez-its, which I used as a substitute for bread crumbs or panko. “Cause what’s a casserole without a crunchy top? In fact, we liked this new topping so much that I know I’ll be using it in place of bread crumbs a lot more often in the future. All in all, this spur of the moment cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole was a big hit. It turned out so creamy and delicious that it’s now our go-to for busy weeknight dinners.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Casserole
Gather all the ingredients. Prepare the pasta and broccoli by cooking per package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine cream of chicken soup and yogurt.
- Add cut-up rotisserie chicken, cooked broccoli, cooked pasta and cheese.
- Mix well.
- Place in square baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Crumble Cheez-Its or other cheesy crackers on top.
- Now it’s ready to bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and serve immediately. This casserole can be on the table in about 30 minutes. And the leftovers are just as good as the first time around. Great for packing in work lunches or for an after school snack for those growing kids. I’d call that one winner winner chicken dinner! Enjoy!
More Quick & Yummy Pasta Dishes
Chicken Cordon Bleu Shells from 2 Cookin Mamas
Chicken & Tortellini Skillet from 2 Cookin Mamas
One Pot Pasta with Italian Sausage from The Rising Spoon
Stovetop Mac & Cheese from 2 Cookin Mamas
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut up or 2 leftover cooked chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 9-oz package frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup Cream of celery or mushroom can also be used
- 2 Tablespoons fat free plain yogurt low fat mayonnaise can be subbed for yogurt
- 6 oz. cooked pasta
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cheez-Its or other cheesy cracker (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8”x 8” baking dish by spraying with a non-stick spray.
Cut up rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken into chunks.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
In a large bowl, mix cream of chicken soup and yogurt. Fold in thawed broccoli, chicken, noodles and cheese then pour into dish. Sprinkle top with crushed crackers for an added crunch.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. If preparing ahead of time and refrigerating, bake for 30 minutes.
This post has been updated. Original post was first published on December 15, 2013.