Jazz up your stovetop mac and cheese with this four cheese gourmet version that’s both creamy and rich. A children’s favorite that will become a family favorite. It’s quick, easy and delicious and works great as a main dish or a side. Love a crunchy buttery top? Pour it into ramekins and finish it off in the oven. It’s comfort food at it’s best!
Days may be warming up but there’s always room on the menu for mac and cheese. OK, warming up, who am I kidding, the days here in Florida have been doing that for quite a while already. However, no matter what the weather, I don’t think families, especially the kids, ever get tired of mac and cheese.
Since quick and easy is the name of the game here on 2 Cookin Mamas, I thought a tasty kicked up stovetop mac and cheese would be a great recipe to have on hand. But I wanted to jazz it up a little, make it a little different, and decided to use a combination of cheeses, cheddar, Comte, Fontina and Pecorino Romano or Parmesan, for a real taste sensation.
And what a great mixture it was! It turned out to be one of the best mac and cheese recipes I have ever made – rich, creamy and absolutely sinful!
Popular Questions Asked
Can I prepare Stovetop Mac and Cheese ahead of time?
Make it as indicated in recipe below then let cool for 10-15 minutes. Place in covered container and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat on stove over low heat adding extra milk or cream as needed.
Can I precook pasta?
Yes, of course. Precook pasta to the al dente stage, toss with a little oil, then store in a covered container in refrigerator. Add to recipe when indicated although reheat time may be a little longer.
Can cheese sauce be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! Just prepare as directed but don’t add pasta. Let cool 10-15 minutes then store covered in refrigerator. When ready to use, reheat on low and add more cream if necessary. Will keep for 2-3 days.
PRO-TIP: Prepare the mac and cheese in advance, adding another 1/2 cup of milk or cream to mixture. Place in buttered casserole or ramekins. Store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Place buttered crumbs on top and reheat at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Check out how easy it is to make my Stovetop Four Cheese Mac and Cheese.
- Gather ingredients.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package to al dente. Set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
- Continue to whisk while adding milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes to thicken.
Pro-Tip: When the sauce is thick enough it will coat a spoon easily.
- Remove from heat and add a dash of nutmeg.
- Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth.
- Add pasta, stir well and serve hot. You can also add a crunchy buttery top and bake but that’s totally up to you.
For topping, mix butter and bread crumbs in a small bowl. Place Stovetop Mac and Cheese in a buttered casserole dish or buttered ramekins. Sprinkle crumbs on top and pop into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
A warm, creamy, comfort food that can be a tasty main dish or a quick, easy side. Want a little more protein, add some ham to the mix or serve as a side with rotisserie chicken. Enjoy!
What to serve with Four Cheese Mac and Cheese:
Air Fryer Pork Chops from 2 Cookin Mamas
Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken from A Mindful Mom
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets from 2 Cookin Mamas
Stovetop Four Cheese Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups shell macaroni uncooked
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fat-free half and half or cream
- dash nutmeg
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Comte cheese shredded (or any type of Gruyere)
- 1/4 cup Fontina cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons Pecorino-Romano cheese grated (Parmesan can also be used)
- Cook macaroni while preparing cheese sauce. When done, drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter and add flour, salt and pepper.
- Whisk in milk and cream and bring to boil. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly then reduce heat and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes more to thicken sauce. Make sure to stir occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Remove from heat and add a dash of nutmeg and shredded cheeses. Stir until melted.
- Add macaroni and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.
This post has been updated to bring you more mouthwatering photos and easier to read instructions. Original publish date was September 28, 2014.