A deliciously filling & easy breakfast skillet that’s made all in one pan. All you need are 6 ingredients – bacon, eggs, cheese, hash browns, salsa and milk. So easy to make, just mix and bake. And clean-up is a breeze!
Christmas mornings are so special in our house. Our kids were always up early, now it’s the grandkids, and they just can’t wait to wake us up so they can go open their stockings. I love the excitement & smiles on their faces and the almost palpable anticipation. It’s hard for them to calm down after that and they want to dive right into the presents but, following out family tradition, it’s time to gather for breakfast first. That’s where this easy breakfast skillet comes in.
We always have my secret sausage bread,which I still have to send to my kids even when they can’t come for Christmas, monkey bread, mimosas and some sort of egg dish. I always like to make breakfast quick & easy as the kids making it through breakfast without repeated “sit down until we’re all finished” just isn’t that relaxing.
A Mexican style breakfast skillet
So this year I’m making this Mexican style breakfast skillet. It’s made all in one pan, which makes clean up a breeze, and has everything you can think, except the kitchen sink, in the dish. I’m talking hash browns, sausage, eggs, cheese and a little spice from the salsa. Don’t like spicy? You can use either mild, medium or hot salsa depending on what your family prefers.
You can easily throw this together the night before, refrigerate, and take it out 30 minutes before cooking so it comes to room temperature. If you can’t wait 30 minutes just bake for an extra 15 minutes or so. Voila! Easy, delicious breakfast for Mom to enjoy too!
I also got a great idea from my son. He suggested using the leftovers in breakfast tortillas for grab-n-go breakfasts during the week (or for the all important day after Christmas shopping). I’ve got such a smart son. 🙂 Thanks for the idea!
Hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 lb. bacon, chopped chopped
- 1/2 pkg Simply Potatoes Southwest Hash Browns or your favorite
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk but any milk will work)
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa, drained
- Garnish: Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 10" iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet, fry bacon until crisp.
- Add potatoes and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and stir well. Pat down
- Combine eggs, milk and salsa and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes & cheese.
- Place in oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle remainder of cheese on top, then bake 5 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with cilantro.