Prepare this one-dish Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole on the weekend and have tasty grab ‘n go breakfasts all week. Easy to whip up and complete with ham, cheese, veggies and those beloved hash browns.
I think breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and especially on weekends. I am usually up early, whether it’s a weekend or not, (I know, I know, my kids tell me that’s just not normal lol) so I have plenty of time to dabble in the kitchen and make a more substantial breakfast than during the busy week.
Saturday morning usually finds me making dishes like Eggs Benedict, my all time favorite, but I also love to make my always-comes-out-perfect waffles too. Then on Sunday, I start thinking about the week ahead and usually decide to make a freezable egg breakfast, like these Quick & Easy Breakfast Bowls or some breakfast muffins, like my oh-they’re-so-good Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake Muffins. I then divide them up & freeze for delicious on-the-go breakfasts all week.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you know it is my goal to get my husband to eat the most important meal of the day, but sleep is more of a priority for him. I finally figured out I could send him to work with these frozen breakfasts & he could reheat it there. Bingo – problem solved!
This casserole today is super easy and hardly takes any time at all to throw together. You can put any of your favorite omelet additions in the mix or just go with those indicated in the recipe. Believe me, it’s great any way you fix it.
HAM & CHEESE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 20 oz package Simply Potatoes hash browns, any flavor
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (optional if using already seasoned potatoes)
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped (optional if using already seasoned potatoes)
- 1 cup ham, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cheese, your favorite kind (I used a combination of cheddar, parmesan & gruyere)
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: green onions, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place potatoes, onion and red pepper in prepared dish and press flat.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Top potatoes with ham then sprinkle cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and combine with milk, salt & pepper.
- Pour over potato-ham mixture.
- Place in oven and bake 1 hour.
- Garnish with green onions.