This sausage egg and cheese breakfast casserole tastes so good you won't believe how easy it is to bake! One dish of this cheesy, savory, and filling egg casserole feeds your entire family - with leftovers to spare. Easy to make ahead and freeze for quick on-the-go breakfasts.
Table of Contents
- Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- Why You'll Love This Recipe for Breakfast Sausage Casserole
- How to Make a Breakfast Casserole with Bread
- Recipe Variations
- Recipe Tips
- Holiday Breakfast Casserole
- What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole
- Make Ahead Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
- More Breakfast Recipes
Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
Save yourself time and make this breakfast sausage casserole ahead of time. You can either store the unbaked casserole in the refrigerator overnight or freeze it up to 6 months ahead of time! Keep reading and I'll tell you how to freeze it to get the best results.
It's a great feeling when you get up in the morning and you're able to reach into the freezer and grab some Banana Maple Oatmeal Cups, Hash Brown Egg Cups, or this delicious breakfast casserole with sausage and know you've started out your day on the right nutritional foot.
Why You'll Love This Recipe for Breakfast Sausage Casserole
Effortless recipe to throw together and bake. All you need are a few simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, and you're all set to make a tasty breakfast.
The addition of apples in the casserole adds a little sweetness to this savory breakfast casserole.
French toast-type bread is used instead of potatoes for a delicious breakfast casserole change of pace.
Easy to freeze in portions. Just pop 'em in the microwave for a minute or two, and then head out the door.
Perfect for packing in a lunch for a mid-morning or mid-afternoon slump breaker.
Quick to reheat for busy school days to help the kids perform better.
Here's what you'll need to make this sausage egg bake:
- Breakfast Sausage - Jimmy Dean's is a great brand to use
- Onion - sweet or yellow onion can be used
- French Bread or Sourdough Bread
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole with Bread
- Place breakfast sausage, chopped onion, and diced apple in a skillet.
- Cook thoroughly.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half and half, and seasonings.
- Whisk well.
- Place cubed bread in the bottom of greased casserole dish.
- Spoon sausage-apple mixture over bread.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on the sausage.
- Pour the seasoned egg mixture over the sausage, cheese, and bread layers.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Ready to bake in a 375-degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
This casserole tastes great with a drizzle of maple syrup as the bread has the taste and texture of French Toast. Serve it with fruit and coffee for an easy and delicious breakfast any day of the week,
- Add some more veggies such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or chopped tomatoes.
- Add some crispy cooked bacon for an extra meaty casserole.
- Switch out the cheese and use Colby, Monterey Jack, or Swiss instead of Cheddar.
- Switch out the sausage for ground beef, chicken (ground, diced, or shredded), turkey (ground, diced, or shredded), or diced ham.
- Change from savory to sweet by eliminating the rosemary and sage and tossing the apple-sausage mixture with ¾ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ cup brown sugar.
- Use day-old bread because bread that's a little dry will hold up better in a casserole. To dry out fresh bread, cut it into cubes and spread them out on a baking sheet, and bake at 200°F for about 10 minutes.
- Use a skewer or toothpick to test for doneness. When inserted in the center it should come out dry. If the casserole isn't done, loosely cover it with foil to keep the top from drying out and continue baking it until it's done.
- Add-ins like vegetables add moisture and can cause it to take longer to bake.
- Use pre-cooked sausage to save time.
Holiday Breakfast Casserole
This cheesy egg and sausage breakfast casserole is great for a holiday breakfast or brunch. Be sure to save this recipe to make for Christmas morning, Easter, and Thanksgiving.
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole
- Fresh Fruit
- Fruit Smoothie
- Simple Green Salad
- Yogurt Parfait
- Yogurt with Granola Topping
Make Ahead Overnight Breakfast Casserole
You can make the casserole a day in advance except for the baking. Cover the unbaked casserole with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and keep it in the fridge overnight. Take it out of the refrigerator about an hour before baking it.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
Store leftover baked breakfast casserole in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can either cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil or transfer the casserole to an airtight container.
Freezing Breakfast Casserole: Cut the baked casserole into single portions, wrap them with plastic wrap, put them in a heavy-duty freezer bag, and freeze them for up to 2 months.
To Reheat: Bake in a 350ºF oven for 10 to 15 minutes or microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until warmed through. How long it takes to reheat varies depending on if reheating refrigerated or frozen portions.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Air Fryer Cannoli Stuffed French Toast
- Bacon Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Crockpot Apple French Toast Casserole
- Hawaiian Roll Breakfast Sliders
- Spinach Frittata with Bacon
Find even more delicious and easy breakfast recipes here on 2CM!
LOVE QUICK & EASY RECIPES? FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, & PINTEREST FOR ALL THE LATEST RECIPE INSPIRATION! PLUS JOIN MY EMAIL LIST AND RECEIVE A FREE E-BOOK.
Sausage Egg & Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 12-16 oz breakfast sausage use turkey for a low-fat option
- 2 apples peeled, cored & chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 4 cups sourdough or French bread cubed
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup half and half or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary minced
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x11-inch or 9x13-inch baking dish with avocado or olive oil spray.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage with apples and onion, breaking sausage up as it cooks, until sausage is completely cooked. Drain fat off the sausage.
- Add bread cubes to the bottom of the prepared dish. Spread with sausage-apple-onion mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk and seasonings, except rosemary, together then pour over top of casserole. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and chopped rosemary.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
This post has been updated with new photos, better directions, and more useful information. It was first published on March 11, 2016.
Valentina | The Baking Fairy says
I love the combination of sweet and savory, especially for breakfast, and this looks amazing! Easy to make, too. Pinning!
Linda Warren says
I hope you get to try it. It really makes breakfast time tasty and so easy.
i'm VERY familiar with this sort of breakfast casserole, but i've never ever added apple--what an excellent and delicious idea! pinning so i can hopefully remember to try it next time! 🙂
Linda Warren says
I thought, well I've added apples with pork for dinner so what's so different about adding it into a breakfast casserole with pork sausage? And it really was a great combo!