These bakery-style Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, dense and rich with a distinct coffee taste. That smooth espresso flavor combines perfectly with the sweet chocolate chips to make these muffins the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack for coffee lovers.
It's officially August and I can't believe how the summer has flown by. I'm celebrating with a deliciously tasty week of muffins. And who doesn't love a good muffin?
OK, to start, I'm a coffee lover from way back. It's the first thing I make when I get up in the morning and I always feel better after the first cup goes down.
So you can probably guess what flavor I had to make my new morning muffins. Yep, coffee! But, not just plain coffee, it had to be espresso!
Luckily, I found a delicious espresso powder made by Hoosier Hill Farms that has the most amazing flavor and it added just the right touch to these Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins.
I've made plenty of muffins over the course of this blog, Streusel Coffee Cake Blueberry Muffins, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins, but this time I wanted to make a bakery style muffin. You know, the ones with the nice high tops, so I started with a Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe from my good friend Lily from Little Sweet Baker.
I added espresso powder to the base and upped the denseness by adding sour cream to replace part of the buttermilk. And I just had to keep the chocolate chips too! 'Cause who doesn't like chocolate!
The combination of the espresso and chocolate was phenomenal and made these muffins a great way to start my day.
How to Make Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
So how easy are these muffins? They're super easy and ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes.
- Combine espresso powder with buttermilk and stir until dissolved.
- Add in butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients then fold into wet ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally into 12-cup muffin tin and bake.
Just look at how beautifully they bake up!
You don't even have to wait for them to cool. They're best fresh out of the oven because nothing's better than a warm muffin just dripping with chocolate to have with your cup of coffee.
Or, wait for them to cool, sift a little powdered sugar over them and serve for a mid-morning snack.
By the way, they freeze well too and are great for an on-the-go breakfast. Just reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds and savor the flavor!
Try my Zucchini Bread Muffins made with bran for a healthy breakfast.
Find lots of healthy muffin recipes here on 2CM!
Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons pure espresso powder
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 ⅜ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips
- Garnish: Powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk with espresso powder and stir until dissolved.
- Add butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla and stir until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for chocolate chips.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix only until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin pans, dividing batter equally. Muffin cups will be filled to top.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake another 12-14 minutes. They're done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- Let cool in muffin pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
This post has been updated and was first published on August 8, 2018.
DON'T MISS A RECIPE!