Bring the aromas of springtime into your home with these delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. They're a moist and dense muffin with a little bit of tart, a little bit of sweet and ready in 30 minutes. And the easy lemon glaze puts them over the top on the deliciousness scale!
I'm beginning to think of springtime. The weather has warmed up here in South Florida and everything is in bloom. I know, I know, you're thinking "Don't tell me that I've got 3 feet of snow on the ground!", but this will recipe will have you thinking spring even with that snow on the ground.
Lemons are one of my favorite citrus fruits. They provide flavor for baked goods like my Easy Lemon Mug Cake and Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts, rev up cocktails like Lemonade Margaritas and Strawberry Lemonade and add a touch of freshness to pasta dishes such as a Summer Shrimp Primavera. They really are a versatile fruit and so darn delicious.
These Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins I'm bringing you today, use lemon for almost all their flavor, some Greek yogurt for a nice healthy note and sweetened with the easiest and tastiest lemon glaze. They're great for breakfast, mid-morning coffee break or as a yummy after school snack.
They take less than 30 minutes from start to finish and come out moist, a little tart, a little sweet and oh so delicious. And the aromas coming out of your kitchen will have you drooling way before it's time to eat them. Enjoy!
Love Muffins? Check These Out!
Peach Almond Oatmeal Muffins - are easy to make and pack a healthy punch. Made with oatmeal, peaches & almonds, it’s like a bowl of oatmeal in your hand.
Pineapple Carrot Muffins - are a sneaky way to get your kids eating veggies without any coaxing on your part. Fresh carrots, a little sugar, a touch of cinnamon and sweetened with pineapple juice makes these muffins both moist and delicious.
Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins - are deliciously moist bakery-style muffins with a distinct coffee taste. The espresso flavor combines perfectly with the sweet chocolate chips to make these muffins the perfect coffee lovers breakfast.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS with LEMON GLAZE
- 2-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- zest of 2 lemons
- ½ cup butter, melted & cooled slightly
- ½ cup of your favorite milk
- ½ cup vanilla flavored Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (you can also use vanilla extract & increase lemon juice by 1-2 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds and zest. Set aside.
- Melt butter in microwave, about 30-45 seconds. Let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, yogurt, lemon juice, eggs and extract.
- When butter has cooled slightly, add to milk-yogurt mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients stirring just until combined. Over stirring will cause muffins to be tough.
- Divide batter between 12 muffins cups.
- Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn oven down to 400 degrees and continue cooking for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes on wire rack. Remove from muffin pan to wire rack and let cool remainder of way.
- While muffins are baking, whisk together confectioner's sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. If the glaze is too thick add a little more lemon juice.
- When muffins are cool, drizzle lemon glaze over all. Let set before storing in airtight container.