Love the taste of peanut brittle? Now you can have it in cookie form! Yep, peanut brittle cookies are crunchy buttery cinnamon cookies full of peanuts inside and out. You won’t be able to get enough! Perfect as an addition to those cookie tins for friends and family.
I was looking through an old cookbook I’ve had for years, The Pillsbury Family Cook Book, from back in the 60’s, and came across a recipe that I had underlined and written that I wanted to try. The recipe was called Peanut Brittle Cookies and it sounded pretty darn good to me and something different to add to my cookie tins.
I mean who doesn’t love peanut brittle? Crunchy, sweet & salty candy that is sooo good and so addictive! I still make about 6-7 pounds up every year, send it off to my kids, and give it as gifts to friends and neighbors.
So, needless to say, when I saw a recipe for peanut brittle in cookie form, I was both intrigued and skeptical about how it would turn out. They turned out to be really easy to make too. I even took some pictures of the important steps which you won’t see here because, much to my chagrin, I didn’t have a memory card in my camera – duh! I think all my Christmas preparations are starting to get to me. In any case, I guess you’ll have to take my word for it and try them yourself to see just how simple they are to make.
So, now you’re wondering how they turned out. Exactly like I thought they should! Crunchy – check, sweet – check, salty – check and full of peanuts – check. Yep, in other words, delicious!
You can even break them up like peanut brittle after baking or, like me, just cut into rectangles for a bit more symmetrical cookie.
Hope you enjoy!
Love the taste of peanut brittle? Now you can have it in cookie form! Crunchy buttery cinnamon cookies full of peanuts inside and out. You won’t be able to get enough!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a large cookie sheet, about 10x14-inches, with shortening or butter. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and 2 Tablespoons of the beaten egg, reserving remainder for brushing on top of cookies prior to baking. Beat until well mixed.
Add flour, cinnamon and baking soda and blend well.
- Stir in finely chopped peanuts.
- Pat dough firmly onto greased cookie sheet, spreading out to reach all corners.
- Using a pastry brush, brush top of cookie dough with remaining beaten egg.
- Sprinkle top with coarsely chopped peanuts.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes only.
- Take out of oven, let cool slightly, then while still warm either cut into rectangular cookies or break apart into pieces like you would do with peanut brittle.