These Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms are small bites of cheesy deliciousness, stuffed full of spinach and bacon with a touch of cayenne, making them the perfect appetizer for any occasion. Stuff a portobello and they become a meal all by themselves!
Stuffed mushrooms are one of my favorite appetizers to order whenever I go out to dinner. And if I don't order those, I go for the spinach dip. So I was thinking, why don't I just combine the two and get it all in one delicious bite. It was one of my genius moments that has gone on to become one of our family's favorite appetizers.
I started out by following some of the same procedures as I use with my Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, such as dipping the mushrooms in butter before filling. Then, for the filling, I started with my favorite spinach dip recipe, which I can't believe I didn't share with y'all already, and added a little added cream cheese to it. That made it the perfect consistency for a stuffing.
Now, I am not one for a lot of filler, so this stuffing has minimal bread filler and more of all the spinach and cheese that you love. It's flavored with smoky, salty bacon, 4 kinds of cheeses, a little garlic and onion and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Believe me, you won't be able to stop eating these caps of ooey gooey yumminess!
These stuffed mushrooms make terrific appetizers for any occasion, we used the Super Bowl as a great excuse to whip some up, but I think Valentine's Day or an anniversary would be a great time to spoil someone too. Not only that, they make an easy-to-carry contribution for a pot luck as well. But, one more thing, you can also turn these into a full scale meal. Just fill some large portobello mushrroms with the same filling, bake and voila - a delicious Meatless Monday dinner.
Hope you enjoy!
SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- 4 slices of bacon cooked & crumbled
- 1 medium onion chopped small
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 packages of frozen spinach thawed and squeezed free of moisture
- 8- oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs, divided
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Brown bacon in skillet. Remove and let drain on paper towel.
- Leave bacon fat in pan and add in chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until onion is soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine spinach, cream cheese, other cheeses and panko crumbs.
- Add in cooked onions and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Wash 24 large mushroom caps. Remove stems.
- Spray 1 or 2 rectangular baking dishes with nonstick spray.
- Melt ¼ cup butter and dip mushroom caps to coat. Melt additional butter if needed. Place caps in prepared baking dish.
- Fill caps to overflowing with spinach mixture.
- Mix ½ cup panko crumbs, ½ cup grated parmesan cheese and 2 Tablespoons of melted butter together in small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture on top of filled mushroom caps.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply