Strawberry Avocado Salsa is a deliciously bright, summery salsa that's the perfect blend of creamy avocado, sweet strawberries, and spicy jalapenos. It takes just 10 minutes and 5 ingredients to make this healthy dip for your next party, picnic, or barbecue.
Add in sweet cinnamon tortilla chips and it's so good you won't want to stop eating it til it's gone!
Table of Contents
- Homemade Fresh and Fruity Salsa
- What is Avocado Salsa?
- Why You'll Love This Strawberry Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Ingredients for Avocado Salsa with Strawberries
- How to Make Avocado Salsa with Strawberries
- How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- Recipe Tips
- Recipe Variations
- Can I make strawberry salsa ahead of time?
- What to Eat with Avocado Salsa
- How to Store Leftover Avocado Strawberry Salsa
- More Recipes With Fresh Homemade Salsa
Homemade Fresh and Fruity Salsa
Nothing says summer like fresh, local strawberries paired with creamy avocados to create a deliciously zesty salsa. This vibrant and flavorful avocado salsa with strawberries brings together the sweet and tart taste of strawberries with the creamy texture of avocados. I combined mine with homemade crispy cinnamon tortilla chips and the flavor explosion was incredible!
This strawberry salsa is the perfect salsa recipe for enjoying as a dip but it's also great as a flavorful topping for entrees too. Similar to the Mango Salsa I use for chicken and Pineapple Salsa I spoon over fish, this Strawberry Avocado Salsa can be a simple appetizer, a topping for salad, or to add a bit of fruitiness to grilled dinners. Try it on grilled fish tacos or tequila lime chicken and see for yourself.
What is Avocado Salsa?
Avocado salsa is like a combination of everyone's favorite guacamole and traditional tomato salsa. It's a chunky dip that combines tomatoes, avocados, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, and in this case strawberries, to create the perfect sweet and creamy summer appetizer.
Why You'll Love This Strawberry Avocado Salsa Recipe
First, and most important - it's soooo easy!
It's quick to put together for a great last-minute appetizer, just 10 minutes from start to finish.
No special equipment needed! Just a knife to chop the avocados, tomatoes, strawberries, cilantro, and jalapenos.
Pair strawberry salsa with homemade cinnamon tortilla chips for a sweet, spicy treat.
Ingredients for Avocado Salsa with Strawberries
Here's what you'll need to make avocado strawberry salsa:
- Fresh Strawberries
- Red Onion
- Jalapeno Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro
- Lime for the fresh lime juice
What you'll need to make cinnamon tortilla chips:
- Flour tortillas - white, whole wheat or corn (gluten-free version) can be used
- Vegetable Oil
- White Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
How to Make Avocado Salsa with Strawberries
Here are the quick and easy steps for making avocado salsa with strawberries:
- Place all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with lime juice and seasoning.
- Toss gently as you want to keep the avocado from getting mashed.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- Brush each tortilla with oil then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut the tortillas in wedges with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
You can make them a day ahead and store them in an airtight container, making them the perfect party addition.
Believe me, once you taste this deliciously healthy dip you won't be able to stop eating it! I would advise you to make a double batch because it will be gone before you know it! Enjoy!
- Use only fresh strawberries. Frozen strawberries will make the salsa watery.
- Be sure to thoroughly dry the strawberries after washing them with cold water. Cut off and discard the green leaf tops (hull them).
- Remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeno for a milder salsa. Add some of the seeds and ribs for more heat.
For the ultimate flavor and texture of the salsa, be sure to:
- Finely chop (dice) the onion, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Cut the avocado into chunks.
- Cut the strawberries into pieces smaller than the avocado chunks but larger than the diced veggies.
- You can swap out the strawberries with mango, papaya, or pineapple. Or add one of them to make it a little fruitier.
- Add some black beans, cucumber, or roasted corn kernels for additional flavor and texture.
- Add some Cotija or feta cheese crumbles.
- Use fresh basil, mint, or parsley instead of cilantro.
Can I make strawberry salsa ahead of time?
It is not a good idea to make this strawberry avocado salsa ahead of time. It is best when eaten immediately after making it. If made in advance, the avocado will oxidize and turn brown and the strawberries will soften and make the salsa watery.
What to Eat with Avocado Salsa
- Cinnamon tortilla chips for an added touch of spice and sweetness.
- Regular tortilla chips (flour or corn).
- Pita Chips
- Serve it over grilled chicken, salmon, or other fish.
How to Store Leftover Avocado Strawberry Salsa
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze avocado salsa?
Freezing strawberry avocado salsa is not recommended because it will not thaw well.
Can you can avocado salsa?
No, heat is not good for avocados and the pH isn't right for a water bath.
More Recipes With Fresh Homemade Salsa
Peach Cherry Salsa - The perfect mix of fresh peaches, cherries, red pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro to top everything from pork to salmon to chicken.
Mango Salsa with Chicken - a tropical topping of mangoes, peppers, tomatoes, tequila, and cilantro is the perfect foil for grilled chicken.
Pineapple Salsa with Mahi Mahi - the perfect combination of smoky, sweet, and tangy.
Find more delicious salsas, sauces, and dressing on 2CM!
Strawberry Avocado Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- ⅛-1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½-1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped (depending on heat desired)
- 1-2 Tablespoons lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- ⅜ teaspoon salt
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 flour tortillas, white, wheat, or opt for gluten-free
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients for salsa in a bowl and toss gently.
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush each tortilla with vegetable oil.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon together.
- Sprinkle each tortilla generously with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Arrange on cookie sheet(s) in a single layer.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or as much as 20 minutes, depending on thickness of tortillas, until crisp.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and store in an airtight container.
This post has been updated with new photos, step-by-step directions, and more helpful information. It was first published on April 18, 2018.