This quick & easy Strawberry Mug Cake for Two can be pulled together in under 10 minutes. It starts with a delicious strawberry cake that’s drenched with chocolate ganache then topped with a chocolate covered strawberry. Perfect for Valentine’s Day, an anniversary or any special occasion.
Sometimes we just don’t have the time to make something complicated and delicious for a special night, even though we might want to. So I decided to come up with something a little different, but just as delicious, that is both quick, easy and perfect for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries or any other special occasion.
As you can tell by the title, it’s a mug cake. But not just any mug cake! A mug cake for two! This mug cake(s) starts with a strawberry cake mix, combined with just 3 other ingredients, then it’s topped with a chocolate ganache that just takes a minute in the microwave. All in all, in less than 10 minutes, counting the cooling time, you’ll have dessert on the table! Sound easy enough?
Believe me, anyone can make this and it will turn out better than you would ever expect. It took me a few misses before I got the proportions right and the cooking time spot on but it was totally worth it!
My first thought was to make it pink with a chocolate frosting, which I did try, but thought it was just too much work when time was of the essence. (If you want to frost it, the recipe is in the notes below) So I decided to go an even easier route and make a super simple chocolate ganache that just gets poured over the top of the cake.
Bonus! I’ve even got an easy way to make a few chocolate covered strawberries for a garnish to really put this mug cake over the top. Don’t want to make the chocolate covered strawberries? No problem! Just top the mug cake with some sliced strawberries and it will be just as beautiful.
Now here’s the 411 on this easy as 1-2-3 mug cake. First, put the cake mix, water, vegetable oil and egg into a large mug sprayed with nonstick spray. Whisk and pop it into the microwave for 3-1/2 minutes.
Once cool, melt the chocolate and cream in a small measuring cup. It only takes about 1 minute. Stir and pour over cooled mug cake(s).
While ganache is still warm, top the mug cake with a chocolate covered strawberry. Voila – a delicious cake for just the two of you. Just look at that bite of deliciousness!
Hint: Goes best with roses and champagne! Just sayin’!
Enjoy & Happy Valentine’s Day!
This quick & easy Strawberry Mug Cake for Two can be pulled together in under 10 minutes. It starts with a delicious strawberry cake that's drenched with chocolate ganache then topped with a chocolate covered strawberry. Perfect for Valentine's Day, an anniversary or any special occasion.
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons strawberry cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons beaten egg, about 1/2 egg
- Garnish: Strawberries
- 4 oz dark chocolate, bar or chips
- 4 oz heavy cream
- 4 oz white chocolate
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Spray a large mug with nonstick spray.
- Place all ingredients in mug and whisk until well combined.
Place mug in microwave and cook on high for 3-1/2 minutes. Microwave ovens vary so time may need to be slightly adjusted.
- Remove from microwave and let cool several minutes.
- Run knife around outside of cake then invert on to wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat above to make two.
- Melt chocolate in microwave safe cup that has a spout.
- Add cream and whisk until well blended.
Pour a thin stream over each mug cake and let it drip down sides.
- Melt chocolate with shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Wash strawberries and dry well.
- Hold the strawberry by its leaves and dip into chocolate.
- Sprinkle with red and pink sprinkles if desired.
- Place on waxed paper to dry.
- You will have enough to do at least 8.
Top each mug cake with a chocolate-covered strawberry while ganache is still warm. Save the remainder of the strawberries for later.
If you prefer to frost, here is just the right amount of chocolate frosting for two cakes.
Place 1/4 cup softened butter and 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar in mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer.
Add 1-1/2 tablespoons cocoa and 1 tablespoon of milk and continue beating until well mixed and smooth.