I don't know about anyone else but after Memorial Day our family sure had a lot of watermelon left over! Now the question was what to do with it. Of course, there is always Watermelon Cucumber Mint Salad or a delicious Watermelon Pineapple Splash, but my mind immediately went to an alcoholic drink. Must be the heat talking!
I made a Watermelon Sangria last year for July 4th, which was super popular, but this time I wanted something a little on the sweet but tangy side. Umm, fresh juicy watermelon would go perfect with tequila and, being that margaritas are one of my favorite drinks, it just seemed like the thing to do.
And did it ever come out great! It was like drinking summer in a glass. It came out cool and refreshing with just enough tartness to make it a cocktail rather than a punch. My husband and I enjoyed them so much that I know I'll be making them again real soon.
More Cocktail Recipes
Key Lime Pie Martini - a refreshing cocktail with a touch of the Florida Keys. It tastes just like key lime pie in a glass!
South Beach Punch - a tropical cocktail straight from South Florida. A delicious combination of coconut rum, curacao & sparkling orange juice perfect for summer.
Strawberry Jalapeno Moscow Mule Slushie - a cool, spicy, fruity twist to the standard Moscow Mule.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 3 strips of lime peel
- ¼ cup simple syrup or agave nectar, adjust to your liking
- 3 cups watermelon, cut up
- ½ cup tequila
- 2 Tablespoons Triple Sec
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- Crushed ice
- Place sugar, water and lime peel in a small saucepan and heat to boiling while continuously stirring.
- Continue to simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat and let cool. Place in a bottle and store in refrigerator and use when simple syrup is called for in a recipe.
To Prepare Margarita
- In a blender, place simple syrup, watermelon, tequila, triple sec and lime juice and blend until pureed.
- This can be done ahead of time and placed in the refrigerator until needed. Blend or stir slightly before pouring into glasses.
- Take 2 margarita glasses and rub rim with lime wedge. Dip into salt to lightly coat.
- Add crushed ice to glasses and divide contents between both glasses.
- Garnish the edge with a lime or a cube of watermelon.