Creamy and delicious chicken broccoli casserole is easy to make and simple to clean up. It’s a nutritious all-in-one dish for those nights when you just don’t have the time to cook.
Today was a whirlwind in the kitchen. I managed to bake 5 kinds of cookies for Christmas and all I wanted to do was get out of the kitchen for a break. But alas, dinner time was around the corner so something simple and quick was in order.
Looking through my refrigerator I found chicken breasts and broccoli, the rest of the ingredients I added were ones I always keep on hand. Since I love making baked chicken with yogurt on top it seemed like a healthy ingredient to add to the mix along with some pasta to make it a little more filling.
The Cheez-its topping was a substitute for bread crumbs or panko and we liked it so much I just might use it in place of bread crumbs more often. It turned out so creamy and delicious that it’s now our go-to casserole when we’re in a rush.
It’s not only delicious but nutritious too. And if you’re using rotisserie chicken and frozen broccoli you can get this on the table in about 30 minutes. Winner winner chicken dinner!
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut up (or one rotisserie chicken)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package frozen broccoli, thawed and cut up (or 1/2 head of fresh broccoli, steamed & cut up)
- 1 can reduced fat cream of chicken celery or mushroom soup
- 2 Tablespoons fat free plain yogurt or low fat mayonnaise
- 6 oz. cooked pasta (optional)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled Cheez-Its or other cheesy cracker (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8”x 8” baking dish by spraying with a non-stick spray.
- Cut up chicken breasts into chunks then fry in olive oil in medium skillet until no pink remains. If using a rotisserie chicken, omit frying and just cut into chunks.
- If steaming fresh broccoli, bring small amount of water to boil in a medium sized saucepan. Place broccoli in steamer basket and set in boiling water. Cover, turn down heat and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix cream soup and yogurt. Fold in broccoli, chicken, noodles, if using, and cheese then pour into dish. Sprinkle top with crushed crackers for an added crunch.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. If preparing ahead of time and refrigerating, bake for 30 minutes.
Wine Pairing: Serve with a simple Viognier, Sauvignon Blanc, Pouilly-Fumé or a dry Chardonnay.
If you like quick chicken dinners you might like our Pesto Pasta Florentine or Chicken in Lemon Wine Sauce as well. And check out our popular Quick & Easy Meals group Pinterest board for more inspiration.