Our Blondies are so full of butterscotch and white chocolate you’ll think you died and went to heaven! Easy to make and delicious enough for a company dessert. Of course, you can always put ice cream on top. Just sayin’! 🙂
Yay! It’s time for the Secret Recipe Club where we get to choose any recipe from one of our members’ blogs and try it. This month I got Melissa’s blog Smells Like Brownies. And guess what?! Some congratulations are in order – her blog just turned 5 years old – Happy Birthday!
And keeping a food blog going is no easy task when you are a busy, stay-at-home Mom raising a pre-schooler and a baby. I’d say that would keep anyone’s hands full. And she sounds like she has so much fun with them and where she finds the time to cook and blog too is a testament to how dedicated she is and how much she enjoys it.
Melissa is a vegetarian fish eater and claims she is a picky eater too but when you see the variety of recipes that she features on her site it is hard to believe! She is a lot like me in some respects, she likes to sing, craft, hates typos and loves to make food for her family and friends.
It was hard to decide which recipe to make. I first thought I would make Salmon-Squash Kebabs but I had already had salmon during the week & didn’t want it again so soon, then I thought why not Vegetable Pot Stickers, it is something I’ve always wanted to try making on my own, but then her Blondies caught my eye. And, after all, what better to make from a site called Smells Like Brownies, than brownies – duh!
I pretty much followed her recipe except I used pecans instead of macadamia nuts. A little better for you and I had them on hand. They turned out so butterscotchy (is that a word) and were quite deliciously addictive. I had to send them into work with my husband so we wouldn’t eat them all in one sitting. And I think he said it took less than 5 minutes for them to be scarfed up. Believe me, they were that good!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray then line with parchment paper allowing a 2" overhang. Spray parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter and both sugars over medium heat. Cook until the mixture comes to a boil and has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and nuts, if adding. Let cool slightly. Once cool, whisk in egg.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add sugar mixture and until just incorporated.
- Stir in chips. Pour into prepared pan and level with fingers.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack.
- Once cool, cut into 16 squares.