Get raves at the dinner table with this easy, one-skillet Chicken in Asiago Cream Sauce. Lightly browned chicken & sauteed mushrooms are simmered in creamy cheese sauce and served over pasta. Yum!
I love Sunday! Saturday is always about getting all the chores done and running errands and, when I had kids still at home, going to their sports games or other activities. When Sunday rolled around I was ready to relax and pay attention to what really mattered - my family.
Maybe that is why my daughter and son are still so close to us even though they have families of their own. We made it a point, as often as possible, to sit down to dinner together, chat, and keep in touch with all the important events in their lives. I still love when everyone can get together, laugh, catch up and enjoy a good meal.
This dish is perfect for any get-together whether it's family or friends. It is an easy to prepare dinner that looks extra special. The sauce's calorie content is cut considerably by subbing fat-free half & half for cream and limiting the cheese to only ½ cup. It still gives the dish a great taste without putting it over the top in calories.
Wine Pairing: You don't have to go crazy spending big bucks for a wine to drink with dinner. There are plenty of reasonable and delicious choices out there. With this dish's rich cream sauce accompanied by mushrooms and cheese. I would stick with a lightly oaked Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, or even a Viognier.
Try Chicken with Lemon Sauce for a healthy and elegant dinner.
Air Fryer Chicken Parm is a healthy way to prepare a classic Italian dish.
And take a look at my easy chicken recipes for more dinner ideas and inspiration.
CHICKEN in ASIAGO CREAM SAUCE
- 1-¼ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-½ cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1-½ cups dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ cup fat free half & half
- ½ cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 Tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag and pound to a uniform thickness of about ¼". Cut each breast in half so you have 4 serving pieces.
- Salt & pepper each piece of chicken then dredge in flour.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter & 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place chicken in hot skillet and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until nice and golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add wine and crushed thyme to pan and scrape bottom to help deglaze pan.
- Add chicken back to pan, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on serving plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add half & half and asiago cheese to sauce in skillet and stir until cheese melts.
- Mix 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add to sauce. Stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with additional sprigs of thyme.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa pasta or spaghetti.
DON'T MISS A RECIPE!
This post has been updated and was first published on March 29, 2015.