Get raves at the dinner table with this easy, one-skillet Chicken in Asiago Cream Sauce. Lightly browned chicken & sauteed mushrooms are simmered in creamy cheese sauce and served over pasta. Yum!
I love Sunday! Saturday is always about getting all the chores done and running errands and, when I had kids still at home, going to their sports games or other activities. When Sunday rolled around I was ready to relax and pay attention to what really mattered – my family. Maybe that is why my daughter and son are still so close to us even though they have families of their own. We made it a point, as often as possible, to sit down to dinner together, chat, and keep in touch with all the important events in their lives. I still love when everyone can get together, laugh, catch up and enjoy a good meal.
This dish is perfect for any get-together whether its family or friends. It is an easy to prepare dinner that looks extra special. The sauce’s calorie content is cut considerably by subbing fat-free half & half for cream and limiting the cheese to only 1/2 cup. It still gives the dish a great taste without putting it over the top in calories.
- 1-1/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup fat free half & half
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1 Tablespoon flour or cornstarch
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag and pound to a uniform thickness of about 1/4". Cut each breast in half so you have 4 serving pieces.
- Salt & pepper each piece of chicken then dredge in flour.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter & 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place chicken in hot skillet and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until nice and golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown.
Add wine and crushed thyme to pan and scrape bottom to help deglaze pan.
Add chicken back to pan, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and place on serving plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add half & half and asiago cheese to sauce in skillet and stir until cheese melts.
- Mix 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add to sauce. Stir until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with additional sprigs of thyme.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa pasta or spaghetti.
Wine Pairing: You don’t have to go crazy spending big bucks for a wine to drink with dinner. There are plenty of reasonable and delicious choices out there. With this dish’s rich cream sauce accompanied by mushrooms and cheese I would stick with a lightly oaked Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc or even a Viognier.