A super easy cake that goes together in minutes & comes out like it was made from scratch. This Banana Crunch Cake is moist, has an incredible banana flavor, and the most awesomely delicious coconut pecan filling.
Are you someone that lacks confidence in the kitchen? Well, I’m here to tell you that this is a cake anyone can bake. It’s super easy and, what’s even more amazing, is that something so simple and so delicious starts with a boxed cake and a packaged frosting!
I came across my old recipe card files while I was cleaning out my hobby closet and found this incredible recipe from my mom. You know, I don’t even know why I still keep all those 3×5 cards around any more when it is so much easier to put my recipes into the computer. Maybe it’s the nostalgia of it all. Then there are the ones my mom wrote and I just can’t seem to part with those.
The original recipe called for a boxed mix of coconut pecan frosting, which I couldn’t find anywhere, so I decided to try it with the premade canned version. The crunch filling comes out a little moister than the crumb-type mixture it originally had but it just happened to wind up being everyone’s favorite part of the cake. Go figure!
All you need are two bowls, a bundt or tube pan and the 6, yep you read that right – only 6, ingredients for this recipe. Start by mixing the frosting with oats and set aside.
In another bowl, beat the remaining ingredients then add cake mix and stir. Layer in pan and bake.
This cake doesn’t need a glaze or icing as it is rich enough just as it is. I could hardly wait to dive in. And I can tell you it was just as good warm as it was cold. I know, I just couldn’t wait! Yum!
Whether you’re a newbie baker or one that’s been doing it umpteen years, this cake is for you. So what are you waiting for – get baking! And when you find out how delicious this one turns out, you’ll have to give our easy One Bowl Apple Cake and Chocolate Magic Cake a try! Enjoy!
- 1 can Pillsbury Coconut Pecan frosting
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 large bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a 10" tube pan, making sure to get center post well covered.
- In a medium bowl, mix pecan frosting and oats together. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat sour cream, eggs and mashed bananas together til smooth. Continue beating while adding in cake mix. Mic for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour 1/3 of cake batter (approximately 2 cups) into bottom of tube pan. It gets a little messy here but use your hands to crumble 1/3 of pecan-oat mixture on top. Repeat with two more layers ending with the pecan-oat mixture.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until pick in center comes out clean. Cool upright on wire rack.
- When ready to remove, use a sharp knife and go around outside of cake then around center post so that when you invert it onto another wire rack it doesn't stick. Then invert back onto first rack so that pecan-oat mixture is on top.