Mocha Melted Ice Cream Cake is an easy three-ingredient cake that is moist, rich and tastes every bit homemade. Melted coffee ice cream brings the flavor of coffee to a boxed chocolate cake that takes only 5 minutes to whip up. Finish with a drizzle of chocolate espresso ganache because there is never too much chocolate!
It’s my birthday and I baked myself a cake to celebrate. I wanted to make an easy cake, because after all, I didn’t want to spend my entire birthday in the kitchen. I thought of making my favorite Chocolate Pound Cake or Chocolate Magic Cake but I really wanted a cake that combined my two favorite flavors, chocolate and coffee.
It was no problem with this melted ice cream cake. This three-ingredient cake starts off with a boxed cake mix, some eggs and an entire pint of melted ice cream. Yep, cake and ice cream all in one dessert, believe it! Plus, it turns out so delicious that no one will ever guess you weren’t slaving away in the kitchen all day. And it couldn’t be easier to make.
Variations for melted ice cream cake
Any flavor cake mix + any ice cream = deliciously endless indulgences
This is an easy cake to adapt to your favorite flavors. White cake with chunky monkey ice cream, butter pecan cake with butter pecan ice cream, chocolate cake with cherry Garcia ice cream. You name it, you can make it.
Top it with your favorite icing.
Other ways to use melted ice cream
Vanilla Sauce – just melt vanilla ice cream and pour over waffles, pound cakes and crisps.
Mug Cakes – Mix 1 cup ice cream with ½ cup self-rising flour and pour into a large mug. Bake for 3 to3-½ minutes.
French toast – just substitute the ice cream for the milk or cream.
How to make a Melted Ice Cream Cake
- Gather the 3 ingredients for cake and the simple ingredients for ganache. (photo 1)
- Place the cake mix, eggs and melted ice cream together in a bowl. (photo 2)
- Mix well. (photo 3)
- Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. (photo 4)
- Bake for about 33 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan. (photo 5)
- Invert when cool. I love this bundt pan and it's many sharp ridges! You can eat it as is or finish as shown below. (photo 6)
- Place dark chocolate chips, butter and espresso powder in small bowl. Heat milk then pour over chocolate chips. Let sit until melted, stir then drizzle over cake.
- Add a few sprinkles to make the cake party ready. Now dig in!
This mocha melted ice cream cake tastes as good as it looks. Rich, moist chocolate cake with a subtle coffee flavor then drizzled with a chocolate espresso glaze to enrich both the chocolate and coffee flavors. Sprinkled with colorful sprinkles (and a little ice cream) makes this cake so festive and perfect for birthdays and special occasions. Enjoy!
More delicious chocolate dessert recipes
Chocolate Espresso Mousse an easy 20 minute dessert that is light yet rich. Perfect for Valentine's Day and special occasions.
Black Forest Crisp is a quick & easy one pan cake that features a crispy chocolate cake over a gooey cherry-pineapple-coconut filling.
Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake triple delivers on chocolate flavor. A no bath cheesecake with a touch of coffee flavor.
Find more yummy desserts on 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list and receive a free e-book.
Mocha Melted Ice Cream Cake with Chocolate Espresso GanachePrint Rate
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I like Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 16 oz container coffee ice cream melted (it measures 2 cups melted)
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
- Garnish: sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs and melted ice cream.
- Stir well then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 33-35 minutes.
- It’s done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely then invert onto a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl, combine chocolate chips, espresso powder and butter.
- In a microwave safe container, heat cream until it begins to simmer. It takes only 15-30 seconds.
- Pour over the chocolate mixture and let stand for 5 minutes. Mix until smooth.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes then pour over cooled cake.
- While ganache is still warm, decorate with a few sprinkles on top.