Our Mexican Frittata gives you all the flavors of Mexico you love in one easy to make skillet dinner. Eggs and cream are mixed with chicken, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese to give you a super tasty dinner. Of course, nothing says you can’t have it for breakfast too!
I like to think of this one skillet meal as breakfast for dinner. And if there is one meal that I want to be easy to throw together during the week, dinner is definitely it. I want to feed my husband something nutritious & delicious, after bagged lunches all week, and this hits the nail right on the head.
To make things even easier, this Mexican frittata uses rotisserie chicken, ready to eat from your local store, either freshly grated or packaged shredded cheese, canned black beans and green chiles. The only thing you have to do is crack the eggs, chop the tomato and fresh cilantro and stir.
If you haven’t noticed, I have this thing for cilantro! I can put it in just about anything from Chicken Tortilla Soup to Taco Salad to my Summer Breeze Cocktail. It just shouts flavor and freshness to whatever it is added to. Having said that, you can easily leave it out and this dish will be just as good as with it. (well almost as good, just sayin’)
This frittata reminds me so much of a quiche but with more pronounced flavor. And there are a bit fewer calories since we used tortillas instead of a buttery crust. And it’s even more nutritious with the addition of black beans and tomatoes. To cut down on the calories even more I used fat-free half & half. A great product to sub in whenever cream is called for in a recipe except when whipping is required.
To start, cut your tortillas in half, spray a large skillet and line the pan with the tortillas. Next just mix all the ingredients and pour into tortilla shell. Then bake. See how easy it is!
In one hour you will have a delicious dinner and leftovers can be used for breakfast the next day. When I fix mine for breakfast, I wrap the frittata mixture in another tortilla to make a delicious breakfast burrito. I then wrap in foil and eat it when I get to work. Oh, it’s so good!
Serve with additional tortillas, for those that like to make a wrap, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and slices of lime.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz jalapeno jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 oz can green chiles, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups fat-free half & half
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray.
- Cut 3 tortillas in half. Line bottom of skillet with 1 whole tortilla and place the remainder around outside to form the crust.
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with taco seasoning. Add grated cheese, black beans, green chilis, tomato and cilantro.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and cream together then add to chicken mixture.
- Pour into tortilla crust.
- Bake 10 minutes at 450 then lower heat to 350 & bake for another 40-50 minutes or until eggs are set. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting for easier serving.
- Serve with salsa, additional tortillas, sour cream, guacamole and slices of lime.