This Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup is so easy and it's full of all the delicious flavors associated with Mexican dishes. Just start it in the morning before you leave the house and you've got an awesome tasting hot dinner waiting for you when you get home. And, if your kids are on all different time schedules, it's perfect for single servings too.
We've actually been having a few cool days recently, which is kinda weird for March in South Florida, but it's been a perfect time to get our fill of soups and stews before the summer heat kicks in.
I fell in love with this soup when I started visiting South Texas and Mexico for work and have been making it ever since. I'm not sure if it was the wholesomeness of the soup, like a full dinner in a bowl, or the fact that I got to put all my favorite toppings on it, like avocado, cheese, and tortilla chips.
This crockpot chicken tortilla soup is one of the easiest soups I've ever made. It's full of chicken, corn, black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, spices, and of course some jalapenos. All you have to do is dump all the ingredients in a crockpot. Cook it on low if you're away from the house for the day or on high if you want to start it after lunch then just forget about it.
Not only will it be ready for dinner when you get home but it makes the house smell wonderful. In fact, it's making me hungry just waiting for it to get done.
I like to add some cilantro and lime juice at the end to give it a little extra pizazz and then dish it out with plenty of our favorite toppings. I usually serve them on the side, kind of like a taco bar but in this case a soup bar (lol), so everyone can add what they want. My favorites are cheese, avocado (of course), sour cream, chopped onion, and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Check Out More Soups That Will Hit The Spot
Vegetable Beef Soup with Soup Bone had deep flavor and alphabet noodles.
Instant Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham Hock is rich, creamy, and has a light smoky flavor.
Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup made with carrots and cashews for extra flavor.
30 Minute Chicken Soup made with leftover or rotisserie chicken and fresh vegetables.
Mexican Pork Stew with black beans and fire roasted tomatoes.
Find lots more soup recipes here on 2CM!
CROCKPOT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2-4 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 14.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 10 oz frozen package organic kernel corn, thawed
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 limes, juiced + wedges for garnish
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped + additional for garnish
- 1 cup jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (plain Monterey or cheddar cheese can also be used)
- 1 avocado, pitted & sliced
- Sour cream
- ¼ onion, chopped
- Tortilla chips, crumbled
- Season chicken breasts with poultry seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Place everything up to and including the chicken broth into crockpot, making sure chicken is completely covered by the broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-½ hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred then return to crockpot.
- Stir in 2 limes, juiced and 1 cup cilantro.
- Serve in individual bowls topped with shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped onion, avocado, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and wedge of lime.
This post has been updated and was first published on March 25, 2018.