This easy Black Bean and Chicken Soup is a deliciously hearty lunch or dinner that can be on the table in 20 minutes. Canned black beans, your favorite salsa and some spices help it come together quickly and easily. It's warm, spicy flavor and thick rich broth will keep you coming back to this classic cold weather soup. Healthy and low carb with a vegetarian option.
Black Bean Soup with Salsa
One of my favorite "comfort foods" in the winter is a hot and hearty bowl of soup. Soups like my homemade Vegetable Beef Soup , Chicken Tortilla Soup or my new favorite, this quick and easy Black Bean Soup with salsa. It's warm and hearty and makes me want to curl up on the couch and read a good book.
This black bean and chicken soup is so easy to whip up that you can make it anytime you feel like it! When I want it a little heartier (for all our meat loving friends) I add some rotisserie chicken or ground beef to the pot. When I want a delicious meatless meal, I just leave out the meat. Beans are full of protein and very filling so it definitely is a healthy meal option.
All you need is a skillet, a large saucepan and a blender. If you like a heartier, chewier soup you don't even need the blender! Take a taste and all your favorite Mexican flavors are on the tip of your tongue. And what do you serve with your favorite Mexican food? Tortilla chips, sliced avocado, shredded cheese and maybe a dollop of sour cream. Voila! A delicious lunch or dinner in less than 20 minutes! Oh, and it's gluten-free too and low carb too!
Tips & Notes for the Best Black Bean Soup
- You won't regret sauteing your onions and garlic. It brings out the sweetness in the onion and a more rich flavor.
- I like to puree half of my soup mixture to give it a more creamy and rich consistency.
- This is an easy soup to make vegetarian. Omit the chicken and add more vegetables such as diced or shredded carrots and red bell pepper.
- Like your black bean and chicken soup a little spicier? Try a hotter salsa or add ½-1 diced fresh jalapeno. Like something with a more unique taste? Opt for a green or chipotle-style salsa.
How To Make Easy Black Bean and Chicken Soup
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add chopped onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until browned and soft. During the last minute, stir in the garlic. (photo 1)
- In a blender, combine one can of black beans with chicken stock. (photo 2)
- Pour in salsa, either hot or mild. (photo 3)
- Add sauteed onions and garlic. (photo 4)
- Lastly, sprinkle in cumin. (photo 5)
- Puree until smooth. (photo 6)
- Pour into a large saucepan and add remaining beans. (photo 7)
- Stir in chicken and bring to a simmer. (photo 8)
- Once hot, add lime juice. (photo 9)
- Sprinkle in cilantro then salt and pepper to taste. Stir and let simmer for several minutes to allow flavors to blend. (photo 10)
Serve this hearty black bean soup with salsa with your favorite Mexican garnishes such as lime slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and tortilla chips. For a change of pace, make a soup bar and let everyone add their own toppings. Can't think of a better way to start a family dinner. It's bound to get the conversation going.
More Soups To Warm Up With
Chicken Corn Chowder - another quick & easy soup filled with corn, chicken and vegetables, nestled in a thick creamy base that you’ll think is chock full of calories but it’s not!
Turkey/Chicken Soup - easy homemade soup using either leftover turkey or chicken. Boil the bones, add some vegetables and noodles and voila – hot healthy soup for a cold day!
Seafood Gumbo - this really is the best gumbo this side of N’awlins! Super flavorful and easy to make soup, that is all about shellfish, andouille, okra, chicken and spice.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Easy Black Bean and Chicken Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced (or 1-½ teaspoons minced garlic)
- 30 oz black beans drained & rinsed (2 15-oz cans)
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tablespoons)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish: lime slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a medium skillet and add chopped onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until browned and soft. During the last minute, stir in the garlic.
- In a blender, combine one can of black beans, chicken stock, salsa and cumin. Puree until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan. Add remaining beans and chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Once hot, add cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Stir.
- Let simmer for several minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with any of the following garnishes: lime slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro and tortilla chips. Make it a soup bar and let everyone add their own toppings.
This post has been improved with new photos and step-by-step instructions. It was first published September 19, 2013.