If you love almonds these Almond Cloud Cookies are the perfect treat. Almost wholly composed of almonds and almond extract, they are chewy & light with a touch of sweet. And they're gluten-free!
Chewy Almond Cookies
I love this recipe! I first found it on the King Arthur Flour site, adapted it slightly, and love how it comes out. It's so easy and is comprised of ingredients that are naturally gluten-free 🙂 , just almond paste (make sure to get the gluten-free brand), sugar, egg whites and extract. See, simple!
What comes out is a chewy cookie with almond flavors that just burst in the mouth. It is light and sweet and, believe me, hard to stop eating at just one. And, since anyone would enjoy this cookie, it's a great cookie to add to any buffet or cookie exchange.
It's a new world out there, and many people have developed sensitivities, whether it's gluten, dairy or nuts, that when hosting a party I think it's important to make sure to have some gluten-free, dairy free and nut-free food on the table. Your "free" friends will thank you!
I also learned something new while baking these cookies this year. When I gathered all my ingredients to make them, I read on the almond paste package that you can roll it out and use it as a gluten-free crust. Did you know that? Neither did I!
It's something I will be trying out in the near future to see how well it works. If you've ever tried it I would love to know what you think. It would be perfect for making gluten-free pies for my daughter's family while they're here over the holidays.
For Those That Love Christmas Cookies
Gluten Free Lemon Bars with a buttery shortbread crust.
White Chocolate Cranberry Macadamia Cookies are chunky, buttery, and perfect for cookie exchanges.
Pinwheel Peppermint Cookies with sprinkles are festive and great for homemade gifts.
Oatmeal White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies from A Cedar Spoon
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cookies are soft, chewy, and almost like a mini cupcake.
German Christmas Cookies with almonds, spices, and a sweet glaze.
Find even more of the best Christmas cookie recipes here on 2CM!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
ALMOND CLOUD COOKIES
- 10 oz almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond oil
- 2 egg whites
- Garnish: confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, beat almond paste, sugar, salt, extract and almond oil. Whisk egg whites until foamy then add to almond mixture.
- Scoop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Space about 2" apart as they do tend to spread. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar then press down just slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned around edges. Watch carefully as they tend to brown up fast once they get to that stage.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheets. Store in airtight container.
This post has been updated and was first published on December 19, 2013.