This easy 30 Minute Chicken Noodle Soup is comfort food deliciousness at its best. Rotisserie chicken or leftover holiday turkey makes this recipe so simple, anyone can make it. Just add chicken broth, your favorite pasta and a few vegetables to make a soup that is healthy, satisfying and full of incredible flavor. It's so good, you'll never go back to canned soup again! Great for hearty lunches and dinners for the cold days ahead.
There is nothing better than homemade chicken noodle soup! Are you with me? It's warm, comfort food full of chunks of chicken and loads of pasta with a few veggies thrown in. This recipe is especially easy to make using rotisserie chicken or some of that delicious holiday turkey. I love making soups any time of year but they always taste the best when the weather turns cold. Soups like Baked Potato Soup, Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup and Split Pea Soup are some of my favorites. Today I can add this easy Chicken Noodle Soup to the list.
Mama would be proud of this soup. It has all the flavor of a made from scratch soup with a time saving step that makes it possible to whip up in 30 minutes. That time saving step is leftover chicken or turkey or a store bought rotisserie chicken. Just shred or cut up it up, add some chicken broth, some noodles (I like to use rotini as I feel it holds all the flavors in its little spirals) and some sautéed vegetables and you're good to go. See, I told you it was easy.
You can add as much of the chicken broth as you like but make sure it covers the contents of the soup. It is a hearty soup but I like to serve mine with some cheese and crackers on the side. It just seems to be the perfect pairing.
- Add a little extra flavor by adding in 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or fresh oregano right before adding chicken broth.
- Turn this into a delightful lemon chicken soup by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice when parsley is added.
- Use leftover turkey from holiday dinners instead of rotisserie chicken.
- Add rice or quinoa in lieu of pasta.
How to make homemade chicken noodle soup
Gather the 8 ingredients - chicken or turkey, pasta, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onions (which you can purchase already cut and mixed in the grocery store), garlic and parsley. And the few kitchen staples like olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot then add carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook about 6 minutes until onion softens. (photo 1)
- Add chicken stock. (photo 2)
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. (photo 3)
- Add pasta and cook the recommended amount of time on the package. You want it to be al dente so the noodles are not mushy. (photo 4)
- Now you can add the rotisserie or leftover chicken or turkey and stir to combine. Heat just long enough for chicken to warm. If there is not enough liquid to cover all ingredients, add additional chicken stock. (photo 5)
- Just prior to serving, add parsley. (photo 6)
Wrap your hands around this bowl of soup and warm up from the inside out during the cold days of winter. You can even make it ahead. This 30 minute chicken noodle soup will last up to a week in the refrigerator or it can be frozen for up to 6 months. Enjoy!
More soup recipes using rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey
Homemade Turkey Soup is the tastiest way to eat up that holiday turkey. The bones are boiled for flavor, toss in some vegetables and noodles and out comes a hot healthy soup for a cold day!
Black Bean & Chicken Soup is a deliciously hearty lunch or dinner that can be on the table in 20 minutes. Canned black beans, your favorite salsa, leftover chicken or turkey, and some spices help it come together quickly and easily.
Creamy Chicken Corn Chowder is a healthy comfort food chock full of chicken, corn and vegetables, all nestled in a thick creamy base that you’ll think is chock full of calories but it’s not!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots peeled and diced (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1 cup celery diced (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup onion diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves minced or 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 64 ounces 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces of your favorite pasta rotini, egg noodles, elbows, bowties, stars
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken or leftover turkey shredded or chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook for about 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add chicken broth, salt & pepper and bring to boil.
- Add pasta and cook for recommended time on package for al dente, usually about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken and allow to cook just long enough to heat it up.
- Stir in parsley and serve immediately.