This quick & easy Chicken Corn Chowder is sure to warm you up during the cold days ahead. Chicken, corn and vegetables are nestled in a thick creamy base that you’ll think is chock full of calories but it’s not! A healthy comfort food that is just begging to be made.
Easy Corn Chowder Soup
My husband and I just returned from a fantastic trip to the New England area and absolutely loved it! We traveled up to Portland Maine and as far north as Rockland where we enjoyed searching out McLoon’s Lobster Shack at the end of the world, oops I mean peninsula, of Cape Elizabeth. Beautiful country, friendly people, wonderful temps for this time of year and, of course, fantastic food!
One of the things we enjoyed most during our trip were all the different kinds of chowders/soups. I particularly loved a Lobster Stew (like a chowder) that I had in one of the pubs of Portland and I am bound and determined to try to copy that one soon. Of course the clam chowder was delish but, what really surprised me, it was their corn chowder that I really enjoyed.
Corn Chowder is a must make comfort food
This chowder is a creamy, mostly veggie-based chowder, that usually has bacon in it. It’s both filling and delicious and I couldn’t stop eating it until I got every last drop from the bowl. Of course, serving it with a good corn muffin or our Green Onion & Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins is a must!
I changed this chicken corn chowder up a bit since I wanted to add a little more protein and a few more veggies. Surprise, it came out equally as good as what we had during our vacation!
Chicken Corn Chowder – creamy & healthy!
Wanting to keep it a little bit more on the healthy side, I added chicken, red bell peppers and celery. I also subbed in fat free half & half for the usually cream. You are probably thinking that this chowder just can’t be thick like the usual chowders but, surprise, it is! By pureeing some of the corn with milk it solves the problem of a thickener. No flour or cornstarch needed!
Fall and winter are the perfect seasons to serve tummy warming soups. It doesn’t matter whether it’s Pumpkin Squash Soup, Baked Potato Soup or this Chicken Corn Chowder, you’re sure to fill your belly and warm your soul with every bite. Enjoy!
More Soups To Warm You Up
Seafood Gumbo from 2CM
Easy Blender Tomato Basil Soup from 2CM
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup from Olive & Artichoke
Baked Potato Soup from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
CREAMY CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion or about 1/3 large sweet onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic or 2 cloves minced
- 4 cups frozen or canned corn divided
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 5-6 small round potatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded (rotisserie chicken is quick & easy)
- 1/2 cup fat free half & half
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- Garnish: thinly sliced green onion crumbled bacon
- In a large deep skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan & set aside.
- Add onion, red pepper, celery and minced garlic to pan & cook in bacon fat for about 8-10 minutes or until onion is soft & slightly browned.
- While vegetables are sautéing, place 2 cups drained corn and 1 cup milk in a blender. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- When vegetables are done, add puréed corn, remaining corn kernels, chicken broth, potatoes, seasonings and chicken to pan and cook over medium to medium-high heat until potatoes are done but still a little firm, about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Right before serving, add crisp bacon (reserving one piece for garnish), half & half and cheese. Return to a low simmer and stir until cheese has melted and cream has warmed.
- Serve in soup bowls garnished with bacon and green onion.