There’s nothing better than homemade vanilla almond granola. It’s healthier than store bought, easy to make & great as a snack or yogurt topping.
One of my favorite recipes to make, and one of the easiest, is homemade granola. And this Vanilla Almond Granola flavor has got to be at the top of my list. It only takes a few minutes to mix up and only 30 minutes to bake.
Why make your own granola? First off, it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying something of the same quality at the store. Secondly, you know exactly what is going into the mix and you can actually pronounce all the ingredients! Thirdly, you can put as little sugar or a sweetener substitute in as you like to cut down on calories and up the health quotient. Lastly, you can make just about any flavor you can think of like our Banana Nut Granola or Apple Crisp Granola.
What you get is a granola that is ultra flavorful and super crispy. And if you’re gluten-free, no worries! Just make sure the oats you are using are gluten-free and you’re golden. I use this Vanilla Almond Granola as a topping for cereal or yogurt in the morning, as a munchie snack in the middle of the day when a little pick-me-up is needed, and even as a component in a parfait dessert.
Yum, dessert always sounds so good but my waist line would scream if I had it all the time. I know you know what I mean! Well, this particular dessert, a yogurt parfait, is one that you don’t even have to feel guilty about. Just layer vanilla yogurt, blueberries, or any berry for that matter, and granola in a tall glass or jar and voila – a fantastically delicious and healthy dessert option.
Enjoy! Let me know in the comments what flavor of granola you like best and your favorite way to use it.
- 4 cups rolled oats (look for steel cut for gluten-free option)
- 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds or pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup almond oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or palm sugar which will be a little less sweet
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, almonds, coconut, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together oil, honey and brown sugar and cook over medium heat while whisking continuously until it begins to simmer. Cook 30 seconds then remove from heat. You can also opt to heat in microwave until boiling but you need to watch it carefully as it can easily bubble up and overflow.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Pour the oil-honey mixture over the dry ingredients and stir well with a spoon. When a little of the het has dissipated, use your hands to crunch the ingredients.
- Pour the granola onto the prepared cookie sheets, dividing evenly between the two, and making sure it is mostly on one layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through the baking process. Hint: It is easier to take the cookie sheets out of the oven to stir the ingredients then return to oven to continue baking.
- Remove from oven and place cookie sheets on wire racks to cool completely. Stir to break up any large pieces then store in large airtight container. Mine keeps for at least two weeks and may keep longer but it never lasts that long.