Flavor the season with this quick & easy apple crisp granola. Oats, walnuts and apple chips are spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and sweetened with applesauce and molasses for the perfect fall treat. Use it to top your yogurt for breakfast or as a healthy afternoon snack.
Yay! It’s fall! And when the cooler weather blows in (it will eventually reach us here in Florida..I think…I hope), the first things I think of are apples and pumpkin. Now I’ve already made an Apple Pie Smoothie, some Caramel Apple Cookie Bars and Apple Pancakes so I thought I would create a snack that would be great to nibble on.
Granola is one of the easiest things to make and when you make it yourself you know exactly what is going into it. No artificial colors, chemicals or high fructose corn syrup for sure. And, if you are gluten-free, you can make sure the oats you are using are gluten-free as well as the apple chips. I used bare Fuji Red Apple Chips as they are certified non-GMO, gluten-free & have no added sugar.
It’s great as a snack but also delicious on yogurt in the morning or even as an extra crunch to a bowl of fruit.
- 4 cups oats, certified gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey or molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or almond oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2-3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 oz pkg apple chips, slightly crumbled (around 2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, honey or molasses, oil and applesauce. Heat until it just starts to boil, stirring often. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Pour sugar-oil mixture over spiced oats and keep stirring until all is well coated.
- Pour onto cookies sheets and spread in single layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from oven and add in apple chips, stirring well to combine.
- Let cool on cookie sheets then store in airtight containers.
Are you a granola fan? You might also like to try our Vanilla Almond Granola, NuttZo Nut Butter Granola and Banana Nut Granola. Just want a snack that’s perfect for fall? Try our Pumpkin Caramel Popcorn for a real treat!