Who wouldn’t love their favorite morning granola in chocolate? This Chocolate Granola is not only decadently chocolaty & flavored with toffee bits but full of healthy ingredients like oats, almonds, coconut and honey. Can you say dessert for breakfast anyone?
Are you a granola fan? I know I am, although I do have some I favor more than others, like my Banana Nut Granola and Apple Crisp Granola or the delicious Natural Cherry Granola that I bought in Michigan. Granola is great on yogurt in the morning, supplying fiber and iron from the oats and heart healthy unsaturated fats and protein from the nuts. It can also be made into a breakfast cookie or you just grab a handful as an afternoon snack.
This chocolate granola idea came about after seeing a recipe for it from Books n Cooks during Choctoberfest. I simplified her recipe and adapted it to match my favorite Vanilla Almond Granola and it came out so good that it has now made it into my top two favorite granolas.
Making your own granola is not only cheaper and easier but you’ll know exactly what’s going in it. You can adjust the sugar content, withhold all the fillers and add only the ingredients you like the most. It really takes little time and tastes so much better than store bought.
Just look at all that crunchy goodness, oats drenched in chocolate, almonds, coconut and toffee bits (OK, there’s a little extra sweetness in this one). Then everything is sweetened with honey and a little brown sugar. If that doesn’t get you moving and ready to make your own granola I don’t know what will.
Oh, and don’t forget that this Chocolate Granola would make a great homemade gift from the heart for the holidays. Just make your own label, add a bow and voila – instant deliciousness to share! Enjoy!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups oats
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup toffee bits (like Heath's Bits of Brickle)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut oil, honey, light brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Whisk together.
- Heat over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Let boil for 30 seconds stirring constantly, or until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, coconut flakes and toffee bits.
- Pour coconut oil-cocoa mixture over dry ingredients. Stir.
- When cool enough to touch, mix thoroughly with your fingers, scrunching it into the oat mixture. Everything should be well coated when you are finished.
- Divide mixture between 2 cookie sheets, spreading into single layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven to wire racks and let cool.
Break up and store in an airtight container. Makes 6 cups. Will keep for about 3-4 weeks.