These hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting will bring the flavor of your favorite hot cocoa drink right into your hands. Rich and moist, each bite delivers the chocolaty essence of a cup of creamy hot cocoa topped with mini marshmallows.
It’s the perfect indulgence for cold winter days. After all, who needs a mug when you can have the magic of hot chocolate in cupcake form!
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
Delightful Chocolate Cupcake Recipes
There’s just something magical about the decadent flavor in chocolate cupcake recipes. These tiny indulgent treats are moist and rich with the perfect blending of cocoa’s richness and an irresistible sweetness. And the aromas alone can start you drooling. Top it with velvety frosting, and it takes chocolate cupcakes to the next level. I’m convinced that anything chocolate tops the list of life’s simple pleasures.
From classic chocolate marvels like Chocolate Molten Lava Cupcakes to creative twists like Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes and Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes, to seasonal versions like these Hocus Pocus Cupcakes, each recipe promises to be a bite of unforgettable deliciousness.
Why You'll Love This Hot Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Indulge in the cozy warmth of hot chocolate in a delightful new form with these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting. This recipe is a dream come true for chocolate lovers and a perfect treat for any occasion. Here’s why you’ll fall in love with them:
- Decadent Chocolate Flavor: Combining rich cocoa powder with hot chocolate mix, these cupcakes offer a deep, luxurious chocolate taste that's both comforting and indulgent.
- Moist and Tender: The perfect blend of sour cream, vegetable oil, and eggs ensures each cupcake is wonderfully moist and tender, creating an irresistible texture that melts in your mouth.
- Cloud-like Marshmallow Frosting: The marshmallow frosting is a real showstopper. Light, fluffy, and sweet, it perfectly complements the chocolate cupcakes, giving you a taste of marshmallow heaven with every bite.
- Easy to Make: With clear, step-by-step instructions, this recipe is straightforward and fun to make. Whether you're a baking novice or a seasoned pro, you'll find joy in creating these delightful treats.
- Versatile and Customizable: While delicious on their own, these cupcakes are a blank canvas for your creativity. Garnish with mini marshmallows or chocolate sprinkles, or get creative with your toppings for a personal touch.
- Perfect for All Occasions: Whether it’s a cozy family gathering, a festive holiday party, or a simple treat to brighten a day, these cupcakes fit perfectly into any event.
- Irresistible Aroma: As they bake, these cupcakes fill your kitchen with a warm, chocolatey aroma, setting the stage for the delicious experience to come.
Experience the joy of hot chocolate in a cupcake form with this delightful recipe. Each bite takes you on a journey of chocolate bliss, making these hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow buttercream frosting a treat you’ll want to make again and again!
Here's what you'll need to make these chocolate cupcakes with white frosting. The exact measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
For the hot chocolate cupcakes:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- White Granulated Sugar
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream
- Vanilla Extract
For the marshmallow buttercream frosting:
- Unsalted Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Marshmallow Creme
- Vanilla Extract
Suggested toppings for cupcakes:
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Sprinkles
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Here are photos and steps in the process of making this hot chocolate cupcake recipe:
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk lightly.
- Add sugar.
- Whisk until blended.
- Heat the water in a microwave-safe bowl until it is almost boiling. You can also do the same in a small pan over medium-low heat. Add in the hot chocolate mix and mix well. It is best to let it cool slightly before adding to the egg mixture.
- Place the sour cream, oil, vanilla extract, and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add in the hot chocolate mix. Mix until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. Do Not Overmix!
- Scoop the cupcake batter into each cupcake cavity filling ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
Here are the photos and steps to make Marshmallow Frosting:
- Place the softened butter and powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
- With an electric mixer, mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add in the cup of marshmallow creme and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium high speed for 2 minutes.
Note: Refrigerate the frosting for 30 minutes before piping onto cupcakes.
- Place the frosting in a piping bag or use a small plastic baggie with the corner snipped off. Insert a star tip. I like the 1M open star piping tip to produce this beautiful swirl. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
Finish these hot cocoa cupcakes with mini marshmallows and a few chocolate sprinkles for the prettiest cupcakes ever. Enjoy!
To ensure your hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting turn out perfectly every time, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Quality Ingredients Matter: Use good-quality cocoa powder and hot chocolate mix for a richer chocolate flavor. The quality of your ingredients can significantly impact the taste of your cupcakes.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Ensure your eggs, sour cream, and butter are at room temperature. This helps them blend more easily into the batter, resulting in a smoother, more uniform texture.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Sifting the flour and cocoa powder not only helps remove any lumps but also aerates the ingredients, contributing to a lighter cupcake texture.
- Don’t Overmix the Batter: Mix the batter just until the ingredients are combined. Overmixing can lead to dense, tough cupcakes.
- Consistent Cupcake Size: Use an ice cream scoop or a measuring cup to fill the cupcake liners. This ensures that all your cupcakes are the same size and bake evenly.
- Cool Completely Before Frosting: Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before applying the marshmallow frosting. Frosting warm cupcakes can cause the frosting to melt and slide off.
- Piping the Frosting: For a professional look, use a piping bag with a star or round tip to apply the frosting. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can cut the corner off a large ziplock bag.
- Chill the Frosting If Needed: If your frosting is too soft, refrigerate it for about 30 minutes to firm up. This makes it easier to pipe and helps it hold its shape better on the cupcakes.
- Toppings: Add toppings like mini marshmallows or chocolate sprinkles just before serving to maintain their texture and appearance.
With these tips in hand, you're set to create delicious, beautiful hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting that are sure to impress!
These hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting are incredibly versatile, and you can easily customize them to suit different tastes and occasions. Here are some delicious variations to try:
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes: For a spicy twist, add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the cupcake batter. If you're feeling adventurous, a pinch of cayenne pepper will give it an extra kick, creating a delightful blend of sweet and spicy flavors.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Cupcakes: Add ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract to the batter for a refreshing minty touch. Garnish with a candy cane for a festive cup handle, and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top for an extra peppermint punch.
- Toasted Marshmallow Topping: Instead of or in addition to the marshmallow frosting, top each cupcake with a large marshmallow. Use a kitchen torch to toast it until golden brown, giving a delightful smoky flavor and gooey texture that's reminiscent of campfire s'mores.
- Mocha Cupcakes: For coffee lovers, add 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder to the hot chocolate mixture. This will create a subtle coffee flavor that beautifully complements the rich chocolate.
- Nutella Swirl Cupcakes: Before baking, add a dollop of Nutella on top of each cupcake batter and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. This will create a delicious hazelnut-chocolate swirl in every bite.
These variations offer something for everyone, making your hot chocolate cupcakes a versatile dessert that can be adapted for any taste or occasion!
How to Store the Cupcakes
Proper storage is key to maintaining the freshness and flavor of your hot chocolate cupcakes with marshmallow frosting. Here's how to do it:
Store the frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator, ideally in a cupcake carrier or an airtight container. The cupcakes will last for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Before serving, let the cupcakes sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This allows the cupcakes to soften slightly, ensuring they are moist and the frosting is creamy.
How to Freeze the Cupcakes
Freezing is an excellent option if you want to enjoy your cupcakes over a longer period or if you have leftovers:
Freezing Unfrosted Cupcakes: If possible, freeze the cupcakes without the frosting. Wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. They can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Freezing Frosted Cupcakes: If you need to freeze the frosted cupcakes, first freeze them uncovered for about an hour to harden the frosting. Then, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe container.
Thawing: Thaw the cupcakes at room temperature for a couple of hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
More Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Lava Mug Cake
- Chocolate Panna Cotta
- Chocolate Pound Cake
- Chocolate Strawberry Cake
- Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
Find lots of delicious easy recipes for desserts right here on 2CM!
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Topping: mini marshmallows and optional chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Add the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk well.
- In a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl, heat the water until it’s almost boiling. Add in the hot chocolate mix, and stir until combined.
- Combine the oil, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Slowly add the hot chocolate mixture while continuously stirring.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake cavity ⅔ full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Place the marshmallow frosting (instructions are below) in a piping bag with a 1M star tip and swirl it on top of the cupcakes. Garnish with mini marshmallows and/or chocolate sprinkles.
- Beat the softened butter and powdered sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract and continue beating for 2 more minutes.
- Refrigerate the frosting for 30 minutes before piping onto cupcakes.