On a recent trip to Houstons, one of our favoriteÂ restaurants, I was served a Kale Salad as a side to my dinner. It was so delicious, with its tangy peanut sauce and crispy vegetables, that I had to try to duplicate it at home. I am pleased to say that the result was almost identical to the restaurant version.
Kale is in the spotlightÂ this year and makes a very healthy addition to anyone's diet. Kale is a member of the same family as cabbage, collard greens, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. It has become king of the vegetables for its wonderful anti-cancer properties, its help in the reduction of cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. It is high in calcium, Vitamins A & C and, in just one cup, has a mind-blowing 684% of Vitamin K! It is great raw, cooked and is used often in juicing.
This salad goes great with seafood as well as chicken. I served mine with a nicelyÂ seared ahi tunaÂ which pairs wellÂ with the slightly tangy salad. Add a glass of of Pinot NoirÂ to complete the meal. Enjoy!
KALE SALAD with PEANUT VINAIGRETTE
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 cups cabbage, sliced very thin (I put mine in food processor and it worked great)
- ⅛ cup mint leaves, chopped
- ⅛ cup cilantro, chopped fine
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated (I always use Pecorino-Romano)
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1-½ teaspoons soy sauce (Use Tamari for gluten-free version)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Place all ingredients for dressing in a container with tight fitting lid. Shake well to combine.
- Combine all ingredients for salad and store in refrigerator.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, toss with some of the dressing. Add more until all leaves are lightly coated.
- Top with peanuts and mix well. You will have at least half of dressing remaining, serve on the side.
DON'T MISS A RECIPE!
To getÂ more great recipesÂ and health tips delivered straight to your inboxÂ subscribe to our weekly newsletter.