Sticky marshmallows and gooey, melted chocolate bring the classic Rice Krispie Treats to a whole new level! This easy-to-make snack combines the traditional flavors of a classic s'more with a crisp, chewy Rice Krispie treat. It's the perfect combination of crunchy graham crackers, creamy marshmallows, and sweet chocolate chips.
S'mores Bars are sure to be a hit for after-school snack time, cookouts, and camping trips.
FYI - This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All links are products I use when making my recipes.
Table of Contents
- Easy Snacks and Treats
- What is a S'more?
- Why This is the Best S'mores Krispie Treats Recipe
- Ingredient Substitutions and Recipe Variations
- How to Make S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Recipe Tips
- What to Serve with S'mores Rice Krispies
- How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
- More Recipes for Cookie Bars and Brownies
Easy Snacks and Treats
These rich desserts are the perfect last-minute snack to whip up when you don't know what to make. S'mores bars are so sweet that it only takes one small bar to fill you up and satisfy your sweet tooth.
What is a S'more?
A s'more is an American campfire sweet treat with a marshmallow and a piece of chocolate between graham crackers. The marshmallow is toasted over a fire until the center is melted and it's placed on top of the chocolate on a graham cracker. Another graham cracker is placed on top and then pressed to squeeze out the toasted marshmallow. The hot marshmallow melts the chocolate and the s'more is eaten while warm.
S'more" is a contraction of "some more" and came from "can I have s'more of these delicious treats?".
Why This is the Best S'mores Krispie Treats Recipe
Rice Krispie treats are a super-popular treat for kids, and this recipe takes the classic desserts and makes them even better! If you (or your kids) love the taste of marshmallows, then these are the best things ever! Not only are they made with marshmallows, but they are topped with marshmallows too!
Here's what you'll need for these S'mores bars:
- Graham crackers
- Rice Krispies (crispy rice cereal)
- Mini marshmallows
- Large marshmallows
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate bar - Hershey's is the traditional favorite but dark or white chocolate can also be used
Ingredient Substitutions and Recipe Variations
- You can use Golden Grahams cereal instead of graham crackers.
- Using cocoa krispies would make them extra chocolatey.
What chocolate is best for s'mores?
The classic chocolate to use for making s'mores is a Hershey bar. You can use any chocolate candy bar including white and dark chocolate.
How to Make S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Place rice cereal and 1 ½ cups of lightly crushed graham crackers into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place half of the mini marshmallows on a greased foil-lined cookie sheet and broil for 1-2 minutes. Watch them carefully. You want them to be lightly toasted, not burnt. Remove cookie sheet from oven. Turn off the broiler and close the oven door to keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds then add large marshmallows to the warm butter. Stir until melted. Add this mixture as well as the toasted marshmallows into the rice mixture. Stir well.
- Spread the rice krispie treats mixture into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Press lightly to make them level. Don't press too hard or they will lose their soft, chewy texture.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of the rice krispie mixture. Place in a warm oven until the chocolate starts to melt.
- Spread the melted chocolate in an even layer on top of the rice krispies.
- Turn the broiler back on. Sprinkle the remaining mini marshmallow on top of the chocolate and place in the oven for 1 minute or until the marshmallows are toasted. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
- Remove from oven and arrange the chocolate bar pieces on top and finish by scattering remaining graham cracker crumbs over all.
Let the bars cool before cutting them into squares. Hint - a knife sprayed with a nonstick spray will make cutting them easier.
- Stand by the oven and watch over when broiling marshmallows. They go from toasted to burnt in a matter of seconds.
- Don't press down too hard on the marshmallow-cereal mixture or you'll have dense treats.
What to Serve with S'mores Rice Krispies
- Beverages: Coffee, hot chocolate, tea, or milk.
- Toppings: Whipped cream, ice cream, chocolate syrup.
How to Store Rice Krispie Treats
Store rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
For longer storage, wrap the treats in plastic wrap and place the wrapped treats in a freezer bag. Freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw them at room temperature.
You can warm rice krispie treats in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 ¾ cup lightly crushed graham crackers about 9 full crackers
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 10 ounces large marshmallows
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces chocolate chips
- 1.55 ounce chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to broil. Grease a large baking sheet, and line the baking sheet with foil. Spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the rice cereal and 1 ½ cups of crushed graham crackers in a bowl. Reserve ¼ cup of larger pieces of graham crackers for the top. Stir together.
- Spread half of the mini marshmallows onto the prepared baking sheet and broil for a minute or two. The marshmallows should look lightly toasted but not burned. Set aside. Turn off oven but leave door closed to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between. Add in the large marshmallows and stir until completely smooth and melted.
- Pour the melted marshmallows onto the rice krispies, and scrape the toasted marshmallows in too. Mix well until throroughly incorporated.
- Spread the marshmallow mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish in an even layer. Press lightly to avoid having dense bars. You want the bars to be soft and chewy. You may find a greased spatula really helpful for this.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the marshmallow mixture and place in a warm oven to melt the chocolate chips. It should only take 20 seconds or so, do it longer if needed. Use a greased or silicone spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the melted chocolate chips into an even layer.
- Turn the broiler back on.
- Scatter the remaining mini marshmallows on top of the chocolate and broil for 1 minute, and then check it every 20-30 seconds after that, until it is lightly toasted. Rotate the pan halfway through to make sure it browns evenly, if necessary.
- Once the marshmallows are toasted, arrange the pieces of chocolate bar on top and then scatter the remaining crushed graham crackers.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into the bars. A greased knife will make cutting the bars much easier.