This Spinach Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese is an easy refreshing salad for the warm days ahead. Spinach is tossed with slices strawberries then topped with candied pecans and drizzled with your favorite raspberry vinaigrette for a light, healthy salad you can eat all summer long. And it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Candied Pecans
Summer is almost here, well I consider it official as of Memorial Day, and it's time for lighter meals and refreshing salads. Salads have always been a go-to in our house during the hot Florida weather which is why I probably have so many of them on my site. I love to make my Red White and Blue Salad on patriotic holidays and I can never pass up my Cucumber Mint Watermelon Salad for a cool BBQ summer side. Although, I have to admit, this particular Spinach Strawberry Salad is a hands down favorite.
This spinach salad with candied pecans, starts with a package of fresh spinach which is topped with fresh juicy strawberries, crumbles of goat cheese and, to sweeten the deal, a good handful or two of candied pecans. You might even want to double the recipe for these addictive pecans 'cause you won't be able to stop eating them!
Healthy benefits of Spinach Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese.
- Spinach, ranked one of the top most nutrient rich vegetables, ranking right up there with kale, is packed with vitamins A, B6, C & K, minerals, iron and antioxidants. It's loaded with health promoting phytonutrients as well as folate, which is oh so important for child-bearing women.
- Strawberries add a big wollop of vitamin C, fiber and manganese which promotes bone health and aids in the absorption of calcium. They also provide potassium, folate and important free radical fighting compounds.
- Goat Cheese, a relatively low calorie and fat cheese, helps boost the body's metabolism, provides a healthy dose of calcium and protein as well as containing important probiotics which aid in digestion.
How to Make Spinach Salad in 3 Easy Steps
- Place spinach, strawberries and candied pecans in large bowl.
- Sprinkle on goat cheese.
- Drizzle salad with your favorite raspberry vinaigrette just prior to serving.
Tips for the Best Ever Spinach Strawberry Salad
This is a very adaptable salad so you can easily change the amount of ingredients depending on your preferences. More strawberries, less goat cheese, well, you get the idea.
When purchasing strawberries, make sure they are free of blemishes and slightly firm to touch. This makes them much easier to slice and they will store better as well.
If making ahead of time, store the spinach, sliced strawberries and goat cheese separately in the refrigerator. The nuts can be made up to 5 days in advance, just keep well sealed on the counter. The dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Assemble when ready to eat.
Top with rotisserie chicken or fish for a light, healthy lunch.
Substitutions for the Perfect Summer Salad
Halve the amount of spinach in the salad and fill in with fresh greens or the more peppery arugula.
Replace the strawberries with your favorite berry or add a mix of berries such as strawberries blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Want a sweeter salad? Add mandarin oranges and or pineapple tidbits to the mix.
Don't like pecans? Try toasted walnuts or sliced almond for that nice added crunch. Have a nut allergy? Try pine nuts, sunflower seeds of roasted quinoa.
Substitute feta cheese for goat cheese to keep that creamy richness to the salad.
Say hello to summer and enjoy this easy, healthy and delicious salad.
Check Out These Light and Delicious Salads
Did you make this summery Spinach Strawberry Salad? Rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how it turned out!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive our free Awesome Appetizers e-book.
Spinach Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese & Candied Pecans
- 9 oz package of fresh spinach, washed, patted dry & ripped into smaller pieces
- 1 pint strawberries sliced
- 4-6 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Candied pecans
- Bacon cooked & crumbled (optional)
- ¼-1/2 cup Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Divide spinach, strawberries and goat cheese equally into 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle candied pecans & bacon, if using, on top of each salad.
- Drizzle with your favorite raspberry vinaigrette. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Substitutions for the Perfect Summer SaladHalve the amount of spinach in the salad and fill in with fresh greens or the more peppery arugula. Replace the strawberries with your favorite berry or add a mix of berries such as strawberries blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Want a sweeter salad? Add mandarin oranges and or pineapple tidbits to the mix. Don't like pecans? Try toasted walnuts or sliced almond for that nice added crunch. Have a nut allergy? Try pine nuts, sunflower seeds of roasted quinoa. Substitute feta cheese for goat cheese to keep that creamy richness to the salad.
Original post from May 2014 has been updated with new photos and copy.