This easy to make fruity Waldorf Salad is the perfect side salad for a summer dinner, BBQs or as a light lunch. It’s chock full of apples, grapes, cherries and celery and, to keep it on the healthy side, tossed with Greek style yogurt. And for a little extra crunchy sweetness there’s a handful of maple glazed walnuts mixed in. Summer never tasted better!
This is such an easy salad to make and so refreshing when the weather turns warm. I love serving it with grilled dishes like London Broil or grilled salmon or quick and easy dinners such as Quiche Lorraine or Crab Cakes. And, the best part is, this is one healthy salad so it’s kind to your waistline. After all, bathing suit season is right around the corner.
So what’s in our fruity Waldorf salad anyway? As you can see above, there aren’t very many ingredients but, when they are added together, it makes one heck of a tasty salad.
The main ingredient is apples, known for their high Vitamin C content as well as fiber, lending a fresh crispness to the salad. Cherries, full of Vitamin C, A, calcium, protein and iron are tossed in along with grapes, containing Vitamins A, C & K, both adding a nice sweetness to the mix. Celery, an excellent source of anitoxidants, is added for crunch. Of course, I can’t leave out the maple glazed walnuts, which are my favorite, that add a little different texture and flavor to the salad.
It’s all tossed with Greek yogurt, a healthy alternative to mayonnaise, which also keeps the calorie count down. And I think the yogurt makes it so much more refreshing than the usual mayonnaise.
Just look at that bite! All moist, flavorful and oh so delicious! Oh, and don’t tell anyone, but the nuts are a great snack to have all by themselves too! So I’m just sayin’ you should make way more than what you need here. You’ll thank me later. 🙂
Fruity Waldorf Salad
- 2-3 apples chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grapes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup cherries sliced in half
- 1 cup celery diagonally sliced
- 1/2 cup maple-glazed walnuts chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- Chop apples and place in medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- Slice grapes and cherries in half and add to apples.
- Chop celery and toss with other fruit.
- Stir in maple-glazed walnuts. See notes for how to make them ahead of time.
- Fold in yogurt until all ingredients are well covered.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!