Rosemary Chicken Salad is an herbal tasty delight that is both delicious and easy to make. Cooked chicken, flavored with rosemary and green onions, is tossed with a light mayonnaise and served over a spinach salad. It's the perfect healthy lunch to start the new year.
My husband and I are determined to start eating healthier meals in the new year. This week, we began by developing a 3-day healthy meal menu that will get us headed in the right direction. I was inspired by a menu I saw on the Cooking Light site and knew I could fix similar meals that were light & healthy.
This morning we had some yummy eggs with tomatoes and basil and a banana. Perfectly delicious and filled us up until lunch. For lunch, I wanted to make a salad of some sort and couldn't decide between Chicken Walnut Salad, Hearty Quinoa Salad or this Rosemary Chicken Salad. Obviously you know what won out. 🙂
This chicken salad is super easy to make especially when starting with an already prepared rotisserie chicken. I have made it before with leftover grilled chicken and roasted turkey and it's just as yummy.
I added green onions and fresh rosemary to the salad but you can also sub regular onions and add some celery as well. By serving it over spinach and tomatoes you add the all-important vegetable component to the meal. These vegetables help supply antioxidants, fiber, iron and other important vitamins and minerals while the salad dressing provides healthy fat and the chicken, lean protein.
So what are you waiting for, whip some up and have for your lunches during the week. You'll feel better knowing you're doing something good for your overall health.
ROSEMARY CHICKEN SALAD with SPINACH
- 2-½ cups cooked chicken, chopped (or 1 rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ cup light mayonaisse
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small cucumber, peeled & chopped
- 4 Tablespoons light vinaigrette or oil & vinegar
- To prepare chicken salad, mix all ingredients and stir well.
- When ready to serve, divide ingredients for spinach salad, except for vinaigrette, into 4 bowls.
- Sprinkle each bowl of spinach with 1 tablespoon salad dressing.
- Place equal amounts of chicken salad on top of spinach and serve.