These Air Fryer Asiago Bagels are quick, easy, and need only 4 basic ingredients. They're crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and the answer to delicious on-the-go breakfasts and tasty lunches.
I'm a big breakfast person and bagels are one of my favorite indulgences. When I figured out that I could make bagels in under 20 minutes in my favorite appliance, the air fryer, I was sold! Now they might not have quite the same consistency as a proper New York bagel but they do a great job at making something pretty close.
If you don't have an air fryer yet, go out and get one ASAP! They not only make these asiago bagels into one quick breakfast but they can also make a superb French Toast as well as lunch treats like Air Fryer Grilled Cheese and Quesadillas. You can't argue with all that deliciousness!
These cheese bagels are everything you could wish for in a homemade bagel. They're easy to make, use only a few simple ingredients, and air fry up crispy, chewy, and in less than 20 minutes. Go on, grab the cream cheese and start schmearing!
Why You'll Love Air Fryer Asiago Bagels
- Easy to make - just 4 main ingredients or use 1 cup of Self-Rising Flour and eliminate the regular flour, baking powder and salt for an even easier 2-ingredient air fryer bagel!
- Quick - it only takes 15-20 minutes to whip these up for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch treat
- Delicious - cirspy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside
- Adaptable - each family member can personalize them with their favorite topping
Ingredients You'll Need
All-Purpose Flour - is the base of the dough. You can also use bread flour for a chewier bagel. If you want to cut down on ingredients, self-rising flour can also be used. Use 1 cup and eliminate the baking powder and salt.
Baking Powder - is the leavening agent, that gives the bagels a slightly tangy taste and helps make them fluffy.
Greek Yogurt - always use plain yogurt and make sure it is Greek yogurt which tends to be thicker and contains less moisture.
Salt - enhances the flavor of all ingredients.
Seasonings - onion powder and garlic powder are options but give the dough the perfect pop of flavor.
Egg - a brush of egg wash gives them that beautiful golden color.
Toppings are always optional but add taste and texture to the end result.
- Poppy Seeds
- Sesame Seeds
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Asiago, Cheddar or Parmesan Cheese
- Onion flakes
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Sunflower Seeds
How to Make Bagels in Air Fryer
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, onion and garlic powders.
- Add in baking powder.
- Stir in yogurt and cheese (optional).
- Form the dough into a ball. The dough will be very stickly and moist.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Work more flour into the dough if it is too sticky and more yogurt into the dough if it is too dry.
- Using a dough scraper or sharp knife, cut the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Separate and work with one piece at a time.
- Roll the dough into a 6-8" long log.
- Form it into a circle, leaving a hole in the center and press the ends of the dough together.
- Brush the tops with a mixture of whisked egg and a little splash of water.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if using, or other favorite topping such as poppy seeds, sesame seeds or Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Ready to go into the air fryer.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with some vegetable oil or lne the bottom of the basket with a parchment sheet. Plae the bagels in the bottom leaving enough room around them for the air to criculate and cook the bagels evenly.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. No preheating necessary.
- Do not overwork dough or the bagel will come out tough
- Always use a thick Greek yogurt rather than yogurt that is labeled Greek-style which tend to have more moisture. The Greek yogurt will help the dough stick together better.
- If you don't have an air fryer you can still make these yummy bagels. Just preheat an oven to 375 degrees and cook on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes.
What to Make with Bagels in Air Fryer
Spread these warm bagels with cream cheese or make a delicious breakfast sandwich of bacon, egg, and cheese. For lunch indulge in a deli sandwich or make your own bagel bites.
FAQs about Asiago Bagels
Place cooled bagels in a resealable plastic bag and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Absolutely! Place them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes, and it's as simple as can be. Just slice in half, place in air fryer basket and air fry for 3 minutes at 370 degrees.
If the bagel is frozen, cut in half, and place in basket and air fry for 4-5 minutes at 350 degrees.
I wouldn't call bagels healthy but these are a bit healthier than those purchased from the bakery. They contain yogurt which packs a nice protein punch.
You can omit the cheese and substitute a non-dairy yogurt for Greek yogurt. However, you will need to strain the excess water from the non-dairy yogurt to prevent the dough from being too moist.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer French Toast takes just 10 minutes to air fry and is simply brioche bread, dipped in an egg mixture, and filled with sweet ricotta and chocolate chip filling. It's so delicious you won't know whether it's breakfast or dessert!
Easy Garlic Bread takes just 8 minutes in the air fryer for the perfect crispy, cheesy dinner side that is simply irresistible.
Air Fryer Avocado Eggs from the Food Hussy are the perfect start to your morning. Just halve an avocado, crack in an egg, and air fry for a quick 10-minute breakfast.
Air Fryer Quesadillas are crispy tortillas filled with beef and beans are a quick and easy 4-ingredient lunch, dinner, or appetizer that takes less than 15 minutes!
Air Fryer Asiago Bagels
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Asiago cheese grated + extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour baking powder, onion and garlic powders, and salt.
- Add asiago cheese and blend well.
- Stir in yogurt. The dough will be very sticky and moist.
- Place on a floured work surface and form dough into a ball adding flour as necessary to enable easier handling.
- Cut into 4 equal parts then roll each into a log shape, about 6-8" long, and loop around to form a circle.
- Brush the top of each bagel with whisked egg beaten with a splash of water to make an egg wash. Sprinkle with a little more Asiago cheese or any other topping you prefer such as poppy seeds, sesame seeds or Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket and place bagels inside. Make sure there is plenty of room around them to air fry properly.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. They should be a nice golden brown on top.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool and wrap with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Do not overwork the dough or the bagel will come out tough
- Always use a thick Greek yogurt rather than yogurt that is labeled Greek-style which tends to have more moisture. The Greek yogurt will help the dough stick together better.
- If you don't have an air fryer you can still make these yummy bagels. Just preheat an oven to 375 degrees and cook on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 20-25 minutes.