A delicious apple pie smoothie that tastes just like apple pie in a glass. And it’s good for you too! An excellent breakfast with plenty of antioxidants and fiber for a more healthy you!
Christina and I have been busy getting our new cookbook completed and ready for DDPYoga‘s review and approval. We are so excited to be working closely with someone who is so into providing people with a way to empower themselves to live healthier and fuller lives. His yoga has been an inspiration to thousands of people who want to get into shape without a heavy toll on their body from high impact. It’s “not your mama’s yoga”, as Dallas Diamond Page (DDP) likes to say, as it gives you a high aerobic workout just by using your own body’s resistance. That’s right – NO impact! It’s great for flexibility as well as balance. Combined with his belief in eating gluten-free, cow dairy-free and GMO free, it is the perfect program for anybody that wants to feel at the top of their game again.
So in keeping with staying healthy, it’s important to eat the right nutritional foods as well. And with apple season in full swing, I can’t think of anything more delicious than this apple pie smoothie. It tastes just like apple pie in a glass – can you say yum! AND there is no feeling guilty because it’s super healthy for you! I would call that a win-win!
This smoothie provides a veritable list of health promoting properties from its ingredients. Apples/apple cider, spinach and bananas all decrease the risk of getting certain types of cancer, promote heart health, reduce cholesterol and help maintain a healthy blood pressure. Spinach also aids in maintaining your bone health while apples help control weight gain. It has also been found that apples may boost your endurance while spinach can help your metabolism and maintain healthy muscle and nerve functions. What more could you want in your breakfast or lunch?
If apples aren’t your thing, we’ve got plenty more healthy smoothies on our site. Check out our Peach Pie Smoothie, Cinnamon Bun Smoothie or our Coffee Smoothie. You’re sure to find something that makes you feel good. 🙂
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup non-dairy vanilla yogurt
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach (optional)
- 1 apple, chopped (with peel)
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- Touch of raw honey or agave to sweeten (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 can coconut cream (Thai Kitchen organic or Natural Value organic or 1/2 can coconut cream (Trader Joe's Coconut Cream)
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey or powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (can add up to 1 teaspoon if you like vanilla)
- Combine all ingredients for smoothie in a blender (I love using my Ninja blender) and process until smooth.
- Garnish with non-dairy coconut whipped cream (see below) and touch of nutmeg.
- Take the can of coconut milk (Make sure no guar gum is listed in ingredients) or coconut cream and place in the refrigerator overnight (at least 18 hours). **If using your Ninja blender, place pitcher and blades in refrigerator overnight as well. When ready to use, if using the coconut milk, turn can upside down, open and drain liquid into a small bowl. Set this coconut milk aside to use in other smoothies.
- To whip (with regular mixers): Chill bowl & beaters in freezer for 5 minutes. Take the solid cream left in the full fat coconut milk can and place in the mixing bowl. If you are using coconut cream, just place 1/2 of the contents in the mixing bowl. Whip on high speed for about 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add honey or sugar and vanilla extract and whip another 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To whip (if using your Ninja blender): Remove pitcher and blades from refrigerator. Take the solid cream left in the full fat coconut milk can and place in the cold pitcher. If you are using coconut cream, just place 1/2 of the contents in the mixing bowl. Blend on speed 2 for 30 seconds or until fully blended. Add honey or sugar and vanilla extract and blend another 10 seconds. Serve immediately.
We are happy to announce that our cookbook is now complete. Check it out here featuring over 60 recipes that are gluten-free, cow-dairy free and non GMO.