These BBQ Chicken Pizza Bombs are the perfect pocket of deliciousness for dinner or tailgating. Quick & easy to prepare, just stuff pizza dough with BBQ chicken, veggies, cheese & roll into a ball. They’ll be gone before you know it!
I’ve been thinking about tailgating recipes lately, probably because I was invited to take part in a Foodie Tailgating group. Oh, AND because I love football! Can’t wait for the season to start (just a couple weeks now) and it doesn’t matter whether it’s college (although it is my favorite) or NFL. Can I get a “Go Team”?! Any other crazy football fans out there?
I have my favorite appetizers like Crockpot Cocktail Meatballs and BLT Stacks but I wanted to try something new. So I started experimenting with different recipes (which my husband doesn’t mind in the least) and I came up with these fantastically delicious, perfectly sized pizza bombs.
Now pizza bombs have been around for quite some time but I put my own spin on them and used my favorite BBQ chicken pizza filling inside a delicious fresh wheat pizza dough. They are super easy to make when using store bought pizza dough, your favorite jarred pasta and BBQ sauce and a rotisserie chicken. They can be made ahead of time and cooked right before everyone arrives so you get to enjoy the game too. The house will smell so good that you might want to make more as they usually are devoured as soon as they reach the table.
But wait, they make a quick and easy dinner too so don’t rule them out for a busy weeknight. And believe me the kids will love them! I like to serve pasta sauce on the side and dip those little babies in it for some extra flavor.
You can also save more time by forming into a pizza roll. This just entails rolling all the filling into a log, sealing the edges and baking. Then just cut into slices and serve.
BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA BOMBS
- Store bought pizza dough
- Corn meal
- 3/4 cup favorite pasta sauce
- 3 Tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Roll pizza dough out on corn meal dusted board into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut out 4" diameter circles.
- Mix together pasta sauce, BBQ sauce and chicken. Combine both cheeses.
- Place a small amount of chicken mixture in the center of each circle. Top with a little cheese. Sprinkle on a tablespoon or so of each vegetable - onion, tomato and pepper. Fold circle up into a ball and pinch edges closed.
- Prepare topping. Place olive oil in small bowl. Mix cheese, garlic powder and Italian seasoning together and place on plate.
- Dip balls into olive oil then roll in seasoned cheese mixture. Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with extra pasta sauce for dipping.