Crockpot Pot Roast is an easy one-pot dinner that's perfect for busy weeknights. Just place everything in the crockpot in the morning and come home to a tender pot roast dinner complete with carrots, potatoes and onions. Who wouldn't love that!
I love crockpots! Why? They are fantastic for busy weeknights and when you aren't feeling well and just want to get anything on the table so there is at least a dinner.
And this week quick & easy are the key words. For the first time in my life, I had to deal with a pinched sciatic nerve! Since Sunday, I haven't been able to sit, stand, or sleep and I'm dealing with constant pain. Thank goodness for my doctor who gave me some medicine yesterday that is finally starting to relieve some of the pressure today.
So I am finally getting around to putting out my Wednesday blog post (because my mind is back to thinking and not just taking up space).
This recipe was perfect for my situation as it takes little time to prepare and is ready when the crockpot goes off. The picture doesn't do it justice but it was tender, juicy, and surrounded by all sorts of tasty goodies including purple potatoes.
Purple Potatoes are Healthier Potatoes
Yep, I said purple potatoes! If you have never eaten purple potatoes they are really delicious. You may have heard of the rule of thumb where the deeper the color of the vegetable or fruit the more nutritious it is.
Well, these purple potatoes are no exception, as they contain huge amounts of antioxidants, the same ones contained in blueberries and pomegranates. These antioxidants are known for their immunity-boosting and cancer-fighting properties.
And they taste much the same as a white potato just slightly nuttier and a little more creamy, so you won't be missing your old white potatoes at all! Cook them with the skin on as this provides the majority of the nutrients.
I used an eye of round roast in this dinner, a leaner less fatty red meat, then pumped up the nutrition with carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Along with the purple potatoes, this makes a very nutritious and all-around healthy dinner.
More Crockpot Recipes to Try
Creamy White Chicken Chili with beans, corn, and green chiles.
Cuban Pork served with healthy cilantro lime rice.
French Dip Sandwich with flavorful au jus for dipping.
Find lots more healthy Crockpot recipes here on 2CM!
EASY & DELICIOUS CROCKPOT POT ROAST
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 lbs eye round roast
- ¾ lb or 6-8 small purple potatoes, washed, skin left on
- 1 ½ cups carrots, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 3 celery stalks, cut in 1" diagonal pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup flour or cornstarch if gluten-free (optional)
- Heat oil in large skillet. Salt & pepper meat to taste. Place in skillet and brown meat on all sides.
- Place half of the cut-up vegetables in crockpot. Place meat on top. Scatter remaining vegetables around roast.
- Add bay leaf, beef broth and red wine.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or on high for 6-7 hours.
- When roast has about 30 minutes to go, prepare gravy.
- Mix flour with enough water to make a smooth liquid-y paste. Take a little of the broth from the crockpot and mix with flour-water mixture, to temper it, so that when mixing it with all the broth it does not lump up. Add to broth and stir.
- Recover roast and finish cooking.
- Remove roast to serving plate and place vegetables around it. Drizzle a little gravy over roast and serve the rest on the side.
This post has been updated and was first published on June 18, 2015.