Easy to make Chocolate covered ice cream bites are the perfect cool treat for a hot summer day. Just a mini scoop of ice cream, a dunk in dark chocolate, and loads and loads of your favorite toppings. Great for kids parties and backyard barbecues.
Ice Cream Truffles
Anyone that knows me, knows that I love ice cream! Give me multi-scoops of coffee ice cream (absolutely my favorite), chocolate ice cream or ice cream sandwiches and I’m down with it. But these little babies are the perfect sweet treat that I never feel guilty about eating. They’re bite-size balls, covered with lots of dark chocolate, then sprinkled with your favorite toppings.
These chocolate dipped ice cream treats are a great way to cool off from this crazy summer heat. I just grab one, OK, maybe 2, and pop them in my mouth for a quick cool mid-afternoon snack. They’re also great for kids parties and backyard barbecues. I’ve even set up an ice cream truffle bar for a party. I have the ice cream bites all ready, melt some chocolate and put tons of toppings out for everyone to pick and choose. Let them have fun then freeze for a treat after all the presents have been opened. Check out how simple they are to make.
Easy Steps to Make Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bites
- First, place a mini scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. I used a french vanilla bean for mine.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Melt some dark chocolate, white chocolate or any kind of chocolate for that matter. Place a toothpick into a ball and dip into the chocolate.
- Place back on lined cookie sheet and, working quickly, sprinkle on your favorite topping. I used toasted coconut, chopped chocolate chips and peanuts and, of course, colored sprinkles. ‘Cause who doesn’t like colored sprinkles!
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour or until frozen through.
Aren’t they just the cutest, most delicious looking, chocolate dipped ice cream treats? Now take a big bite. Ummm, they’re so good!
Make as many of these ice cream truffles as you like at a time, as they keep really well in a ziploc baggie in the freezer. I can’t think of a better, more delicious, way to keep cool this summer!
More cool summer treats
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – Creamy ice cream nestled between two fresh chocolate chip cookies then rolled in sprinkles (of course).
Cake Batter Funfetti Popsicles – an easy mix of cake mix, vanilla ice cream and plenty of sprinkles makes this a favorite kid’s summertime snack.
No Churn Coffee Ice Cream – An easy one-step no-churn ice cream with plenty of coffee flavor.
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bites
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream or your favorite flavor
- 7 oz dark chocolate, broken up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I like to use a combo of almond & coconut oil)
- Garnishes: sprinkles, chopped peanuts, toasted coconut, crushed cookies, chopped candy bars
- Linda small cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop vanilla ice cream into balls and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to assemble, line up all garnishes so they are ready to go.
- Place chocolate and oil into a microwave safe measuring cup or bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring in-between, until melted.
- Remove ice cream balls from freezer. Working quickly, dip into melted chocolate mixture then immediately sprinkle with topping of your choice.
- If chocolate hardens too quickly for topping just spoon a little extra on top and sprinkle topping quickly.
- Return to freezer for at least 30 minutes then enjoy.