Irish Coffee Mousse is a creamy, boozy adult dessert that's simple to make and even more delicious to eat. It starts with a boxed chocolate pudding, milk, coffee and, of course, whiskey. To make it light and airy, Cool Whip is added for the nicest, silkiest texture you can imagine. Perfect for an after dinner treat and great to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
I may not be Irish but I love celebrating St. Patrick's Day with the traditional Corned Beef with beer and potatoes dinner. Maybe I can be an honorary Irishman for the day. 🙂 Of course, a delicious dinner needs to be followed with a delicious dessert, right? And this mousse, aka Irish Coffee Pudding Shots, has everything to recommend it - chocolate, coffee, creamy Cool Whip and, of course, whiskey.
I decided to experiment with this chocolate mousse while I was making some cups of Irish Coffee Cocktail. Since I added some homemade Irish Cream (totally optional) to the coffee, which by the way has chocolate syrup in it, I thought, why not make chocolate pudding and add the same ingredients as the coffee. I topped some of the pudding shots with a mixture of Cool Whip and Irish Cream and others with straight whipped cream then sprinkled them with nutmeg. Aren't they pretty!
Just look at that creamy spoonful of deliciousness! They came out airy, light, full of mocha flavor and with a decided kick of liquor. I served these small indulgences that same night at a dinner party and they were a huge hit. In fact, they all asked for the recipe. Woohoo! I call that a win! Enjoy or should I say Cheers!
I love experimenting with changing recipes up and it's always fun to see what new recipe might come out of an old one.
- Try using a White Chocolate Pudding in place of the chocolate. It really surprises the guests with the chocolaty flavor. You could also add some green food coloring for the occasion.
- Want to serve this to the entire family? Just leave out the coffee, whiskey and Irish cream and add an additional ½ cup of whole milk.
- Don't have any Irish whiskey? No problem, really any good whiskey will do. No Irish Cream? This can totally be left out.
All you need are a few simple ingredients and, of course, whiskey.
- Chocolate Instant Pudding - whatever your favorite brand happens to be. I used the Kroger brand and this dessert got rave reviews.
- Whole milk - I like my puddings rich so I opt for whole milk. You can also sub in 2% or almond milk if you want.
- Coffee - a good premium coffee will actually boost the chocolate flavor and add a nice edge of coffee flavor to the dish.
- Irish Whiskey - You can use your favorite whiskey, such as Jim Beam, Knob Creek or Jack Daniels or make it more Irish by staying with Jameson.
- Irish Cream Liqueur - adds a creamy texture to the pudding while imparting more chocolate and coffee flavor. This is an optional ingredient but one I recommend adding.
- Cool Whip - is added to lighten the texture and make it more of a mousse than a pudding. It's the perfect dessert as the weather warms.
- Gather ingredients and have ready to go as this chocolate mousse goes together quickly. (photo 1)
- Place pudding in mixing bowl and add milk. (photo 2)
- Add coffee. (photo 3)
- Pour in whiskey. (photo 4)
- Add Irish Cream liqueur. Beat until well blended. (photo 5)
- Fold in Cool Whip. (photo 6)
- To fill dishes, place chocolate mousse into a Ziploc bag. Cut a snip in the corner and squeeze to fill small shot glass size or slightly larger dishes.
- Top with either whipped cream or 1 cup Cool Whip mixed with 1 tablespoon Irish Cream liqueur. Refrigerate and serve cool.
Tequila Cupcakes with margarita frosting are loaded with fresh lime flavor.
Hummer Cocktail is a frozen drink made with ice cream, Patron coffee liqueur, and rum.
Cocktail Cupcakes are chocolate cupcakes made with raspberry vodka, topped with raspberry frosting, and sprinkled with adorable red cocktail caviar balls.
Want more? There are lots of easy cocktail recipes here on 2CM!
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
- 3.5 oz. Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup coffee
- ¼ cup Irish Whiskey
- 3 Tablespoons Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- Garnish: Whipped Cream or Cool Whip with liqueur
- Place pudding and next 4 ingredients into large mixing bowl.
- Beat until well blended.
- Fold in Cool Whip.
- Place chocolate mousse into a Ziploc bag. Cut a snip in the corner and fill small shot glass size or slightly larger dishes.
- Top with either whipped cream or 1 cup Cool Whip mixed with 1 tablespoon Irish cream liqueur.
This post has been updated and was first published on March 8, 2020.