These Peanut Butter Banana Cookies take the concept of combining peanut butter and banana to a whole new level. Rich banana bread-like cookies are chock full of peanut butter chips then drizzled with dark chocolate – oh mercy, you won’t want to stop eating them!
It’s Creative Cookie Exchange Day and this month’s theme was drop cookies. Drop cookies are just about the easiest type of cookies to make and some of the most delicious too.
I usually have to think really hard about what I want to make for each month’s theme but this time I knew just what I was going to bake, Peanut Butter Banana Cookies! It really was a no-brainer for me since I had bananas filling up every available space in my kitchen and beyond – counters, shelves, bowls, yep, like I said, everywhere!
And this bunch of bananas isn’t light. This one weighed about 40-50 pounds! It’s no wonder that our tree can’t hold them up and falls over when they are almost ripe. You would have gotten a laugh watching me trying to cut and drag the bunch inside. (Actually, it’s good you didn’t see it – lol)
Now, being a banana lover, I’m always happy to get bananas. I get to make favorites like chocolate banana bread, banana pancakes, smoothies and even chocolate covered bananas! However, they’re also in my go-to lunch – a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Peanut Butter and Banana were meant to be together!
The combination of peanut butter and bananas has been around for ages but, when I finally put them together in cookie form, I found myself wondering why I never did it before.
Let me tell you, these cookies take peanut butter and banana to a whole new level! I used a riff on my popular banana bread recipe then added handfuls of yummy peanut butter chips. The cookies have a beautiful moist banana bread taste and texture with a whole lot of peanut butter flavor. And to top it off, I added a rich dark chocolate drizzle – now we’re talking! (I mean everything is better with chocolate, right?!)
They were gobbled up so fast that I think I can safely say they were totally delicious. So, if you’re a big peanut butter and banana fan or just a lover of banana bread, you’ve got to walk, not run, to the nearest kitchen and bake up some of this yumminess.
And while you’re waiting for them to cool off, check out some of the other delectable cookies below that my fellow cookie lovers baked up.
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA COOKIES
- 2/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 2 bananas
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter chips
- 3/4-1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, silpat or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well mixed. Add in mashed bananas and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Turn mixer to low speed and add dry mixture gradually to banana mixture until completely combined.
- Stir in peanut butter chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop batter onto prepared cookie sheet leaving about 2" in-between. You should get 12 per cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 8-9 minutes or until bottom is brown and cookies look set.
- Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheets for 2-3 minutes then remove with spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cool, place waxed paper under cookies and prepare chocolate.
- Pour chocolate chips into a microwave safe measuring cup or bowl, Heat in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in-between, until chocolate has melted. Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over cookies. You can also use a small baggie and cut a small hole in one corner and squeeze over cookies.
We are kicking it old school this September with Drop Cookies! Keep reading to see what craggy and chewy masterpieces everyone came up with…
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Walnut Cookies by Upstate Ramblings
- Brown Sugar Bacon Cookies by Food Lust People Love
- Chocolate Chip Cookies with Thyme Infused Browned Butter by The Spiced Life
- Chocolate-Toffee Crinkle Cookies by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies by A Shaggy Dough Story
- Old Fashioned Soft and Chewy Oatmeal Cookies by Oven Delights
- Peanut Butter and Banana Cookies by 2 Cookin Mamas
- Peanut Butter Graham Cookies (with Tallow!) by What Smells so Good?
- Pumpkin Spice Mocha Crinkle Cookies by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Salted Caramel Nutella Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks