This Sausage and Peppers Sheet Pan dinner uses easy to find fresh ingredients and either fresh or frozen Italian sausage. It's a quick oven-baked version and is a great alternative to grilling. Just toss your favorite sausage with bell peppers, onions & a little seasoning then spread on a sheet pan & bake. Just 10 minutes prep and let the oven do the rest. It's delicious, super easy & cleanup is a breeze.
I had a big surprise last night when I went to fix dinner. I had planned on grilling out sausage and peppers and found out from my husband that we were out of gas! Has that ever put a crimp in your dinner plans? So, out of necessity, I had to think of an alternative way to cook dinner.
I knew I needed to cook it in the oven and I thought to create something on the order of my Chicken Apple Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner. It would take just a little more time to bake than grill but the prep was about the same. And who can beat 10 minutes then pop it in the oven, put your feet up, and wait for the aromas to start wafting through the house. Way to make my mouth water! Check out how easy this is to make. In fact, it's a great dinner to get a little help from the kids.
- Pierce potatoes several times with knife then bake in microwave for 5-7 minutes depending on size. You just want them slightly pre-cooked so they can nice and tender in the oven.
- Cut up onions and two different colors of bell peppers in chunky slices. Slice each Italian sausage link into 4 pieces.
- Cut potatoes into chunks.
- Place all ingredients in large bowl and sprinkle oil and seasoning over them. Toss until everything is well coated. Since this dish wouldn't be getting that nice char-grill taste, the Italian seasoning and garlic mixed with oil would bring the extra flavor while the olive oil would help keep all the elements from sticking together and help shorten the cooking time.
- Line a cookie sheet with a rim with aluminum foil.
- Place sausage and peppers along with potatoes on prepared cookie sheet, making sure to keep it a single layer.
- Bake, covered, for about 30 minutes, turning after the first 15 minutes. If you want a little extra crispness you can uncover and place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes. That step is totally up to you. Remember to watch it carefully so nothing burns.
Just look at that bite of tasty deliciousness. The meat with be tender and spicy, the peppers and onions a little crunchy and the potatoes add that soft texture. It really is a super easy weeknight dinner and, bonus, clean up is a breeze. Want something a little more substantial? You can easily change this up into more of a Saturday lunch or dinner by omitting the potatoes and serving on hoagie rolls. Add a little marina to the top and it's absolutely perfect. Enjoy!
More Quick and Easy Dinners
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
Sausage and Peppers Sheet Pan Dinner
- 5 Italian sausage links
- 2 bell peppers any color, cut in strips
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in strips
- 3 medium potatoes optional, prebaked
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut each sausage link into 4 pieces. Leave uncut if you are placing on hoagie rolls. Place in large bowl.
- Cut peppers and onions and place into bowl with sausage.
- If adding potatoes, you need to pre-bake them in microwave for 5-7 minutes. This partial baking will allow them to cook completely along with the other ingredients. Cut them in 16th and add to sausage-vegetable mixture.
- Combine olive oil, garlic and seasoning. Pour over sausage, vegetables & potatoes and toss to coat well.
- Spread mixture on prepared sheet pan, making sure to keep in single layer.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, turning after first 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
Leave a Reply