These slow cooker chicken tacos are quick & easy. Throw everything in the crockpot & by dinner you’ll have a healthy taco meal that will get rave reviews!
It’s that time of year again! The school year is almost upon us and here we are again, scurrying around trying to get everything the kids need for school, clothes that they like, special book bags, fancy notebooks, maybe dorm supplies, that fixing dinner gets pushed to the back of our minds until 5 o’clock rolls around. Then panic sets in with nothing on hand and nothing planned. So why not be prepared and throw everything in the crockpot early in the morning before your day gets into full swing.
This is such a simple recipe but it’s delicious and healthy. The chicken is low in fat and provides the meal with protein as do the black beans. However, the black beans win out in this nutrition race as 1 cup contains 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of fiber, the highest ratio of any food group. The beans high protein-fiber content benefits the digestive tract, the cardiovascular system and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Add in tomatoes for their antioxidant content and the healthy fat of an avocado and you have a meal that is not only good for you but quick to get on the table.
This meal can be made gluten-free by purchasing gluten-free tortillas such as Udi’s Plain Tortillas made with rice flour & tapioca. If you are also cow-dairy free, stick to Manchego cheese and choose a sour cream such as Follow Your Heart Sour Cream. You can also make your own dairy-free sour cream by mixing 1 6-oz. So Delicious Plain Yogurt with 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice then refrigerating for at least 1 hour.
Enjoy! And while you’re at it, check out these other great crockpot meals for the school year ahead.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TACOS
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small cans chopped green chiles
- 15.5 oz black beans drained
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 4-6 cups Chicken broth or enough to cover
- 12 Soft tortillas
- Garnish: chopped lettuce & tomatoes, grated cheddar cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream
- Season chicken breasts with taco seasoning. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and enough chicken broth to barely cover chicken.
- Cover and cook 4-6 hours on low.
- When done, remove chicken and shred with fork. Place back in slow cooker so that it can absorb some of the broth. When ready to serve, remove some of the liquid and place in serving bowl.
- Serve with soft tortillas (I like to brown mine slightly in hot dry pan), chopped lettuce & tomato, grated cheddar cheese, avocado & sour cream.