Our Sparkling Tequila Cocktail is a refreshingly tart drink that will have you dreaming of tropical islands and warm sunny beaches. A simple cocktail of grapefruit juice, tequila and lemon lime soda served over crushed ice. Add a sugar rim for a sweet touch.
Spring has sprung and you can feel the warmth in the air. Of course, in Florida, that warmth is already here and we’re thinking of cool drinks on the back porch, like a pina colada, as we enjoy the sunshine and blue skies. Have I made you jealous yet?
You can’t beat fresh grapefruit for a great tasting cocktail.
As a Floridian, grapefruit is almost always on hand either from our backyard trees or from the local groves. So what better fruit juice to add to a drink than our very own grapefruit. In fact, drinks made with grapefruit juice are one of my husband’s favorites and this one now ranks up there with his all time favorite, the Sea Breeze.
This drink is a take on the well-known Paloma, a popular drink in Mexico. Here we’ve substituted lemon-lime sparkling soda or water in lieu of the standard club soda and lime juice. This sparkling tequila cooler has a refreshing bite and is a bit on the tart side but a drop of agave can easily be added to up the sweetness level.
It’s super simple to make too and works just as well by the pitcherful as it does when making them individually. All you need is a couple tall glasses, some crushed iced and 3 ingredients, tequila, grapefruit juice and lemon-lime sparkling soda. It is also easy to adapt. Want a little more sparkle, add more soda. Like a little more lime taste, add a squeeze of lime. Not quite into tartness, add some agave or even a sugared rim. Easy, right?
Believe me, one sip of this cocktail will have you dreaming of warm, tropical climates and an island vacation! I’m ready! How about you?
- 8 oz grapefruit juice
- 4 oz. lemon lime soda or sparkling water (I love the La Croix brand)
- 4 oz tequila
- Agave (optional)
- Crushed ice
- Garnish: lime slices, lemon slices, sugar rim (optional)
- Add crushed ice to a tall shaker.
- Pour in grapefruit juice and tequila. Shake.
- If you prefer a sugar rim, rub a slice of lime around rim of each glass. Dip into a plate of sugar.
- Divide grapefruit-tequila mixture between 2 tall glasses that you have filled with crushed ice. Top with lemon lime soda or sparkling water. Add about 1/2 teaspoon agave to sweeten, if needed. Stir.
- Garnish each glass with a slice of lime and a slice of lemon.
Love cocktails? Check out our refreshing & delicious board here for tasty recipes for your next cocktail party.