These Candied Bacon Wrapped Smokies should come with a warning. Addictive, super delicious and easy to make, smoky sausages are wrapped in bacon and topped with a brown sugar glaze that bakes into a glazed candy-like finish. It’s an appetizer that’s sure to be the hit of any New year’s Eve party or Bowl game.
I can’t believe 2018 is coming to an end! It’s been a great year but I’m looking forward to a new one and all the yummy possibilities that I can cook up over the next 365 days. But, before the big day, there are hors d’oeuvres to make for the New Year’s Eve celebration. I love having a variety of choices such as Kahlua Baked Brie, Meatball Sliders, Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms and my absolute favorite, Candied Bacon Wrapped Smokies. I can’t believe that I’ve never shared these with y’all. I’ve been making these for years and no matter where I bring them, they get gobbled down almost before I can sneak one off the tray.
These little beauties are easy to make, the hardest part is not eating them before you get where you’re going. (just speaking from experience here) They start with lil smokies, small smoked sausages, that are wrapped in bacon and covered with a brown sugar and ketchup sauce then baked til they get all crispy and brown. I’m drooling even as I write this!
Candied Bacon Wrapped Smokies will become your new favorite go-to appetizer.
- Set out all your ingredients on a cutting board and slice your bacon strips into thirds.
- Wrap each little smokie in bacon, secure with a toothpick and place on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Don’t forget this step as it makes cleanup a breeze.
- Don’t they look yummy already! I mean, bacon and sausage, how can you go wrong!
- Bake for 10 minutes @ 350 degrees, then remove from oven.
- Combine ketchup with brown sugar and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, stir and brush or spoon over each partially cooked bacon wrapped smokie.
- Sprinkle each with a little extra brown sugar. This will help create that candied glaze as they cook.
- Ready to put back into the oven. Bake for 40 more minutes and enjoy the mouthwatering aromas that are wafting through your kitchen.
This has to be the most delicious looking picture. Crispy bacon, candied glaze and browned sausages – oh yeah! This is where you’ll also be glad of the lined cookie sheet. They slide right off leaving the greasy mess behind. Just toss the parchment or rinse off the silicone mat and you’re all cleaned up and ready to party!
Just look at that mouthwatering Candied Bacon Wrapped Smokie! Are you licking your phone yet? It kinda makes me want to go and make some more right now.
Plate them with a little greenery and cranberries to look festive and then enjoy! Have a fun, safe and happy New Year’s Eve celebration! See ya next year!
These Candied Bacon Wrapped Smokies should come with a warning. Addictive, super delicious and easy to make, smoky sausages are wrapped in bacon and topped with a brown sugar glaze that bakes into a glazed candy-like finish. It's an appetizer that's sure to be the hit of any New year's Eve party or Bowl game.
- 1 package lil' smokies about 27
- 9 slices bacon cut in thirds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar + extra for topping
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 27 toothpicks
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or aluminum foil. (Don't skip this step)
Wrap each lil smokie in a piece of bacon.
Secure it together with a toothpick.
Continue until all lil smokies have been used.
Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, ketchup and cayenne pepper. Adjust cayenne to your desired amount of heat.
Remove lil smokies from oven and spoon sauce over each one. Make sure to use all of the sauce.
Sprinkle each smoky wrap with extra brown sugar.
Return to oven and bake an additional 40 minutes or until bacon is crisp and brown sugar has caramelized.