Goat Cheese Crab Wonton Cups are an easy, tasty appetizer for entertaining. Creamy goat cheese is topped with a mini crab cake and baked in a wonton cup for the perfect handheld appetizer that is sure to please all seafood lovers. Top them with a little nectarine salsa for an extra special kick. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TheFreshMarket #TFMCrabBash #Collectivebias
Baked Goat Cheese Wontons
I can’t believe fall is here and I get to enjoy all the bounty of the season! And one of my favorite foods to enjoy during autumn is crab. Thank goodness for The Fresh Market for hosting a delicious Crab Bash with all sorts of delectable crab offerings. They’ve got Wild Snow Crab Leg Clusters, Jumbo Soft-Shell Blue Crabs and the most succulent, amazing Ultimate Lump Crab Cakes.
It’s always so much fun to visit The Fresh Market. I must go there at least 3 times a week looking at their fresh produce, seasonal goodies and great tasting prepared meals. They carefully select their product offerings to make entertaining easy, weeknight dinners a breeze, all with friendly, helpful personnel. Of course, when thinking of their signature products, I can’t pass up the chance to praise their fantastic selection of prime meats, like their prime filet mignon (check out the filet mignon with herb butter recipe I prepared here) and, of course, their sensational seafood. In fact, this is one store that my husband will gladly stop in on his way home from work whenever I ask. And he always comes home with more than I asked for because everything always looks sooooo good!
Since we’re talking Crab Bash, the Ultimate Crab Cakes caught my eye and I just had to buy them. They really are stuffed full of lump crab meat, 80% to be exact, along with a few other simple ingredients that are only there to enhance the delicate flavor of the crab. There are no fillers, just pure crabby goodness! That’s the kind of crab cakes I love! And the fact that these crab cakes are made of crab that has been sustainably caught in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada. That’s a big plus for me.
You really can’t go wrong with any of The Fresh Market crab cakes, whether the Ultimate Lump Crab Cakes or the Maryland Crab Cakes, but I do have a soft spot for the Maryland variety since I lived there for a few years. And they do match up with the crab cakes I used to get on the coast. Full of tender, succulent meat that is full of flavor. They make the perfect breakfast, aka Crab Cakes Benedict, dinner or any number of appetizers, like our Stuffed Mushrooms, Crab Martinis or these Goat Cheese Crab Wonton Cups I made for you today.
I’ve had these crab cakes for dinner many times, and whether I saute the cakes, bake them or put them on a salad, they’re always delicious. Today I wanted to fix something for the upcoming weekend’s football get-together. I know, I know, you’re thinking I’m spoiling my friends with all this crab, and you’re so right! But I just couldn’t pass up the chance to make these Baked Goat Cheese Wontons with all that luscious crab.
These Goat Cheese Crab Wonton Cups are so easy to make and take less than 30 minutes!
The steps are quick and simple.
- Press down the crab cake so it has a flat surface. Using a small mouthed glass, divide crab cake into small rounds. You’ll get about 6 per crab cake. Aren’t those the cutest mini crab cakes?
- Place wonton wrappers in a muffin tin. Cut little rounds of goat cheese and place in bottom of wonton wrappers. Top with mini crab cakes.
- That’s it! Bake for 12 minutes.
This Nectarine Salsa is bright, fresh, easy to make and the perfect complement to these Goat Cheese Crab Wonton Cups.
While wonton appetizers are baking, make this fresh nectarine salsa. The produce selection at The Fresh Market is amazing and I found everything I needed – nectarines, jalapenos, green peppers, red onions, cilantro, limes and tomatoes. Dice and mix all together then refrigerate.
Carefully remove appetizers from muffin tin and plate with a few slices of lemon or lime.
Add a touch of nectarine salsa to top or red pepper salsa.
Now I’m ready for the football fanatics! I bought some gorgeous fall flowers from The Fresh Market as my centerpiece and the perfect fall drink to accompany these crab wonton cups, apple cider, from their seasonal selection. Of course, that apple cider makes a great Apple Cider Margarita too for an all-around fantastic autumn halftime treat. Enjoy!
More Game Time Appetizers
Air Fryer Spaghetti & Meatballs from 2CM
Spinach Balls from 2CM
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Loaded Nachos from Urban Bliss Life
Finger Food Lasagna from 2CM
Love quick & easy recipes? Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest & Twitter for all the latest recipe inspiration! Plus join my email list here and receive a free e-book.
CRISPY GOAT CHEESE CRAB WONTON CUPS
- 2 Ultimate Lump Crab Cakes
- 8 oz creamy goat cheese (I used Garlic & Herb Goat's Milk Cheese)
- 12 wonton wrappers
- Garnish: Green onions finely chopped (optional)
- 2 nectarines diced small
- 1 tomato diced small
- 1/4 green bell pepper diced small
- 2 Tablespoons red onion diced small
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped fine
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice about 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non stick spray.
- Slightly flatten each of the large crab cakes.
- Using a glass with a small mouth or a medium cookie scoop make 6 mini cakes out of each larger crab cake. Of course, hands will work too!
- Place a wonton wrapper into each muffin cup. Press down to form a small cup.
- Slice goat cheese thinly and put one slice into each wonton wrapper.
- Top cheese with a mini crab cake.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes.
- While wonton cups are baking make nectarine salsa.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.
- When wonton cups are done, remove from oven and lift out carefully with a fork.
- Now you can either serve with nectarine salsa and maybe a roasted red pepper sauce on the side or top each filled wonton cup with a little salsa and you're ready to go.